HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SpaceX sticks the landing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

SpaceX sticks the landing Empty
PostSubject: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Not sure if this will work.

http://livestre.am/5lsMx
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 4:57 pm

It works.
But you should fast forward to about 27 minutes to get the ten seconds that are worth watching. Just my opinion. Those ten seconds are great!

Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 8:54 pm

I enjoyed the cheering from the SpaceX employees. I never worked anywhere, or on a project, that generated that much enthusiasm. I'm quite envious of them.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 4:00 am

How is that even fucking possible?  The barge is so small it is being tossed about by waves -- the surface must be pitching.  The rocket is so tall that it looks like it would fall over.

If I had less confidence in Elon Musk's truthfulness I'd assume this was CGI.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 2:11 pm

The drone ship names still kill me. Iain Banks was a good writer, and well worth the tribute.

SpaceX's Musk: We'll reuse today's Falcon 9 rocket within 2 months
Quote :
It was still pretty dangerous, and Musk said SpaceX estimated there was at least a 33 per cent chance of failure. The ship was pitching about three degrees during the landing, despite its four engines working overtime to keep it in position. The rocket could land in about double that level of pitching, but it would be very difficult, he said.

Right now SpaceX engineers have boarded the ship Of course I still love you and are inspecting the first stage of the Falcon 9 rocket that landed. Specially designed metal shoes will be fitted over the landing legs and welded to the deck to hold it steady for the trip back, but heavy winds are expected in the next day.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I still don't get how this is cheaper or easier than disposable boosters.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 11:40 pm

Building the rocket costs about $60 million. Refuelling etc costs less than half a million. That's quite a difference.

By the way, the thing stands way tall, and looks like it's bound to fall over on the barge. But someone pointed out to me today that it mostly consists of big fuel tanks sitting over a very heavy motor. So when it comes in to land, with the fuel tanks pretty much empty, its center of gravity is actually very low, making it quite stable.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 7:34 am

Nevertheless, they're going to WELD the feet to the barge to tow it to port.

That tells you something about how stable it isn't.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 5:34 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
I still don't get how this is cheaper or easier than disposable boosters.
Upon reflection, on the names of the barges and on the nature of Elon Musk himself, I think he has taken to heart John F. Kennedy's proclamation, "We choose to go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

I think he's intentionally doing things the hard way.  He doesn't want to duplicate what NASA has done, he wants to do what they never could do, or never thought of doing.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:05 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
I think he's intentionally doing things the hard way.  He doesn't want to duplicate what NASA has done, he wants to do what they never could do, or never thought of doing.
I think you're giving Musk too much credit. He's doing things that he thinks will make money for him.
Most of what he is doing - everything except the landing - is duplicating what NASA developed and has been doing for decades. Most - maybe all - of the engineering in his rockets was paid for by us tax payers.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySun May 01, 2016 10:42 am

Wrong. NASA never put up a rocket powered by hyperbole.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptySun May 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Well, yeah. There's that.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: SpaceX Will Attempt to Land Three Rockets at Once   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 11:19 pm

Two of them pretty much simultaneously. That I've got to see.

SpaceX Will Attempt to Land Three Rockets at Once
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing EmptyTue May 02, 2017 7:50 am

A lot of the videos aren't too clear, or cut out at the critical moment. This one is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQpkQ1etdA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SpaceX sticks the landing   SpaceX sticks the landing Empty

Back to top Go down

SpaceX sticks the landing
Page 1 of 1