Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Things I don't understand - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 12:11 pm

You really think so? I just click a button and I have created a brand new tough-to-crack password. Saved in a file. Encoded. I have never used the same password twice.

If you have to have passwords that you can remember, you have my sympathy.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 12:15 pm

I have three devices -- desktop, iPad and iPhone -- where I might need to access password-protected data. Saving passwords to a file would be supremely insecure, if the password file was included on all three devices.

Of course, using the same 2 or 3 passwords (or variants) on everything is also pretty insecure. But at least I don't have to fumble with opening a text file before I can start working.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
 Saving passwords to a file would be supremely insecure, if the password file was included on all three devices.

I use a program that saves the passwords encoded in the file. Additionally, to access the data, you have to have a password to open the file with the program so you can read them. The program can also copy your user name and password to the clipboard for cut and paste.

I also have the program and data file on a USB drive for access from other computers.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 12:38 pm

I don't understand why Pandora requires a password. What's somebody gonna do, listen to my music?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am

Hot Cocoa Mix

There are two kinds, the stuff that you mix with hot milk and the kind you mix with hot water, which has the milk solids added into it.  They're both called "hot cocoa mix" and the mixing instructions are usually printed so small that old people can't read them in the grocery store without their glasses.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 am

Mimic and mimicking

Why not mimicing?
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 11:39 am

Americans pronounce "vitamins" as vite-amins. The first time I said vit - amins to Montez, she said that was wrong. I said, OK, why isn't it mine-erals?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 am

Explain aluminium.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

Quote :
Two variants of the name are in current use: aluminium ( /ˌæljʊˈmɪniəm/) and aluminum (/əˈluːmɪnəm/). There is also an obsolete variant alumium. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. The IUPAC periodic table uses the aluminium spelling only. IUPAC internal publications use the two spelling with nearly equal frequency.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 2:41 pm

If a place is habitable, you can live there. If a place is inhabitable, you can live there.

in-
a prefix of Latin origin, corresponding to English un-, having a negative or privative force, freely used as an English formative, especially of adjectives and their derivatives and of nouns ( inattention; indefensible; inexpensive; inorganic; invariable).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Flammable and inflammable, same deal. Engrish she not so rogicle.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 3:01 pm

richard09 wrote:
Americans pronounce "vitamins" as vite-amins. The first time I said vit - amins to Montez, she said that was wrong. I said, OK, why isn't it mine-erals?

Vita-mins versus min-eral. You wouldn't say vit-Amins or mine-Ral. It's all about putting the emPHAsis on the right sylLABle.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 3:26 pm

In high school, I knew a girl who could not pronounce electricity. She was intelligent and spoke well, but that one word she was unable to pronounce; it always came out with an extra syllable: "elecatricity".

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Nucular
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 6:09 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
richard09 wrote:

Vita-mins versus min-eral.  You wouldn't say vit-Amins or mine-Ral.  It's all about putting the emPHAsis on the right sylLABle.

I've heard that argument before, and remain unimpressed. When I say vitamins, I put the emphasis on the first syllable. When you say vitamins, you put the emphasis on the first syllable - you just get the vowel wrong.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 7:59 pm

The "eye" sound is wrong for an "i"?
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 am

It seems there may be a rule about the pronunciation of the "i". Consider these:
Bite - Bit
Tile - Tilt
Wile - Wilt
Tripe - Trip

When the "i" is followed by a consonant and an 'e", the 'i' takes a long sound - at least in American English. So Richard's pronunciation would seem to follow the rule. Of course, if we want to go the source and use the Latin sounds, then the 'i' is pronounced as a long 'e'.

Two more examples, from LA gang names: The Cripes and the Crips.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 12:02 pm

It only works at the end of the word. So we have mine - mineral.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 12:53 pm

Any time one is looking for consistency in the English language, one is wasting time.

How about minute (time) and minute (small)? Same spelling, different pronunciation.

In high school chemistry class, we were taught that the element was aluminium and the metal was aluminum.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 1:10 pm

I was just describing how an alarm went off. When it stopped, I started to type, "the alarm went off..."

No wait. The alarm went ON before? Now it's off? "My smoke alarm is going off..." but really, it's going on.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 10:14 am

Things I don't understand - Page 7 Twin-sister-share-everything-life-together-even-same-boyfriend
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 28, 2024 6:26 pm

I don't understand why, when our pets get too old or injured, we can take them to the vet to be humanely euthanized.  They inject a sedative so the animal relaxes and goes unconscious, then they inject another chemical to stop the heart.  Takes less than a minute. Seen it done.

So why does Alabama have to take 22 minutes to execute a criminal, by depriving him of oxygen and letting him writhe in agony for a third of an hour?
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 6:11 am

Just grossly incompetent. Give the guy a sedative so he goes to sleep. Now deprive him of oxygen. Dying won't take more than 4 or 5 minutes at the outside, and since he's not conscious, "writhing in agony" just isn't a thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things I don't understand   Things I don't understand - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Things I don't understand
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7