HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Religious Trauma Syndrome

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Religious Trauma Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 am

Not a joke, sadly.

Quote :
Religious trauma syndrome (RTS) is a set of symptoms and characteristics that tend to go together and which are related to harmful experiences with religion. They are the result of two things: immersion in a controlling religion and the secondary impact of leaving a religious group. The RTS label provides a name and description that affected people often recognize immediately. Many other people are surprised by the idea of RTS, because in our culture it is generally assumed that religion is benign or good for you. Just like telling kids about Santa Claus and letting them work out their beliefs later, people see no harm in teaching religion to children.

But in reality, religious teachings and practices sometimes cause serious mental health damage.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

Alterna.net? Sorry, it's made up.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Alterna.net? Sorry, it's made up.

What are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 am

Website's not reliable
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 am

I don't think Alternet is especially unreliable. It is very "leftist" and atheist, in American terms, and is thoroughly disliked by many for that reason. But that hardly sounds like a reason for your dislike.

This article, for example, includes links that you can read, and the subject (Dr Winell) really does exist and actually has written about RTS.

What turned you off?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Sorry no time right now

If this is a peer reviewed study with accepted AMA definitions I'm sorry
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 pm

I think NoCo is a little Tom Cruise-ish on some of these mental health things. We've argued about it before but I think it's less about alternet and more about that.

Personally, I know people who are likely suffering from religious trauma. I knew some as a teen and we didn't have a word for it. I think religion is a form of mental abuse and for some people it is a trauma that lasts.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious Trauma Syndrome   Religious Trauma Syndrome Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1