HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Neil deGrasse Tyson Empty
PostSubject: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 12:20 pm

The first ten or twelve minutes are terrific, and will probably make NoCo's nose bleed.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 1:10 pm

Tyson has a great manner of speaking, in that he can reduce the most complex arguments to basics which anyone can understand. Of course, in this matter he is preaching to the choir where I am concerned.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Tyson oversimplifies.  "Life may be inevitable"?  On what proof?  Yeah there "may" be a teapot orbiting between Earth and Mars too.  I choose to not ASSUME there is -- Occam's Razor.

He's right though that if we ever find extraterrestrial life we either won't recognize it, or it won't recognize us.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:26 pm

"On what proof?" I don't think proof is required when merely positing a possibility. Note his use of the word, "may." I think he presented sufficient reasons for the possibility of life elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Not even close.

Life is composed of the most common elements in the universe, is his reasoning.

Tyson is a distinguished scientist who is also an African American. Does that prove that all black men are scientists? No it does not. He has extrapolated a known specific case to the general -- a common tautological error of the unpracticed logician.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Quite so. A practiced logician would speak of teapots.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Okay. That was a cold shot. Please excuse me; not a good day.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson EmptyMon May 11, 2015 7:06 pm

No, you're quite right. Lord Bertrand Russell was exponentially smarter than Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson   Neil deGrasse Tyson Empty

Back to top Go down

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Page 1 of 1