HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days Empty
PostSubject: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 3:54 pm

"Pop" is music for people who don't like music.
To be kind, I don't mean to insult the biggest audience for Pop: those under twelve years of age.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Bob Newhart wrote:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Razz
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 pm

But if it's evocative for me then it doesn't matter if it sounds the same as something else.

Also ubiquity is something I look for specifically in certain things, like for the gym. I want it all to sound alike and carry the same vibe. I don't play the meaningful, the Leonard Cohen or the Bill Withers at the gym. I play nameless faceless house music and club music.

I listen to a lot of pop music. I do like music. I listen to a lot of it. I don't really care if people don't approve of my music, you don't have to hear it. I can bend to what you like if I'm with you. We will have something else in common, George Thorogood, Robert Johnson, Joe Satriani, Boccerini- something. There is very little music I don't listen to. I think each has its place and sometimes each marks a place: a period in time that goes with the music.

I love Ke$ha, Rihanna, Katy Perry, you name it. I don't necessarily like them as people, I don't know them as people. And I don't know if they have any skills. I just know that there is music that does something for me and there is music that doesn't. And if it does something for me, if it makes me feel something I like then I listen to it and enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Nein nein nein! You MUST like state-approved music -- or else!!!
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 pm

A Wagner fan I see! Laughing
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 pm

I luff zee smell of napalm in zee mornink.... it smell like.... VIKTORY.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Ya know, listening to it again, the opening video reminds me of this:

Back to top Go down
keithprosser3

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 pm

"Pop" is music for people who don't like music.
To be kind, I don't mean to insult the biggest audience for Pop: those under twelve years of age.

I heard a nice variation on that in another context I can'r recall:

"I don't mean to denigrate anyone who like pop. If anyone here does like pop, denigrate means 'insult'."

Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm

I just don't get that kind of attitude. It seems to me that diversity is a better thing than perfectionism. Sure, just as a tiger is more magnificent than a caterpillar a symphony is more magnificent than a Brittany Spears song but the "ecosystem" isn't harmed and is only enriched when we have both.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm

Jenni wrote:
Sure, just as a tiger is more magnificent than a caterpillar

Never say that.
A tiger won't have silk coming out of their (near) ass.
Like you say, it's all about diversity.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Lisa wrote:
Jenni wrote:
Sure, just as a tiger is more magnificent than a caterpillar

Never say that.
A tiger won't have silk coming out of their (near) ass.
Like you say, it's all about diversity.
I meant in the average person's mind. I kind of feel like when the average pagan (as an example) seeks their totem they want to hear it's a wolf or a tiger or a bear- something powerful and magnificent. Or when people make those pretty bookmarks you buy at the counter for 2.99. No one ever really values the caterpillar or the ant or the dung beetle (the little not so magnificent guys). Except people like us. (The kind of people who can look at a rat and see a buddy.) I guess I should have included that disclaimer. Well played, Lisa. tongue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 pm

I know you get it.
It's good.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Jenni wrote:
Also ubiquity is something I look for specifically in certain things, like for the gym. I want it all to sound alike and carry the same vibe. I don't play the meaningful, the Leonard Cohen or the Bill Withers at the gym. I play nameless faceless house music and club music.
I bought my wife a new iPod for using at the gym and she really loves it. She says that she works out more vigorously with the music. (Years ago, before the gym sessions, I bought her one for using whenever and she did not use it once.)

Delighted that you mention Leonard Cohen and Bill Withers. I don't feel so alone now, knowing that some young(er) people still appreciate the unique music of such artists.

I still hate pop (I do like both tigers and silkworms, although I can't recall ever seeing a black velvet painting of a silkworm).

Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 pm

_Howard wrote:
Jenni wrote:
I bought my wife a new iPod for using at the gym and she really loves it. She says that she works out more vigorously with the music. (Years ago, before the gym sessions, I bought her one for using whenever and she did not use it once.)

Delighted that you mention Leonard Cohen and Bill Withers. I don't feel so alone now, knowing that some young(er) people still appreciate the unique music of such artists.

I still hate pop (I do like both tigers and silkworms, although I can't recall ever seeing a black velvet painting of a silkworm).

The music does keep me pumped but it also drowns out the bs I overhear in the gym so I never have one of those "if it weren't for her horse" moments. It also creates a general vibe that I am not there to be chatted up.

Love Leonard Cohen. Some of his stuff just gives me chills. It's sad and romantic and realistic in a weird way that makes me wonder what kind of drugs he's done. I once read he is bi polar- that makes sense to me hearing some of his stuff. When I really get pissy about men in general it's Cohen or Withers that kind of brings me back and reminds me we all have a hard journey in this life.

And that's ok. I'm not a huge fan of ants. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Jenni,

I recently bought a forty-three-year-old album which I missed completely when it was new. There is a documentary out about the artist called "Searching for Sugar Man." It won an Oscar this year for best documentary feature.

I almost never recommend music to anyone; it can cause more problems than trying to get someone to change religions, but considering your eclectic taste in music, this is something I think you may enjoy and, if so, I would hate for you to miss it.

I only ran across it because my daughter's boy friend was interviewed on TV about the documentary. If you're interested in looking at it, here are some links:

HERE is an article about the documentary, and HERE is a link to the album on eMusic. You can sample the album, but I must say that the bits that are sampled do not reflect the quality of the album.

Let me know what you think.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Geez Howard... I could've taken you to the Crofoot to see him. It's less than 10 miles away.

On a more personal note, is that the boyfriend of your wondrously awesome daughter, that I think of as my own now?
Is he cute?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Yes, that is the same daughter. By the way, I do have another daughter; she is a wonderful person even though her name is Lisa.

Is the boyfriend cute? Well, he's not as ugly as I am. I haven't net him yet, but he may be out here next month. My wife met him a few months ago when she was in New York. She liked him a lot; said he was like a male version of our daughter. I can't think of a better compliment. Right now, the younger daughter and boyfriend are both in Austin, Texas, for the South by Southwest conference.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

_Howard wrote:
Yes, that is the same daughter. By the way, I do have another daughter; she is a wonderful person even though her name is Lisa.
I understand.
I too, am a younger sister named Lisa.
It's a hurdle that'll make her stronger.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:38 am

Lisa is the older sister by ten years.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:19 am

_Howard wrote:
Lisa is the older sister by ten years.

Oopsy.
But that would definitely make my older sister happy.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am

_Howard wrote:
Let me know what you think.

I like it a lot! Ben does too. We've sat here two nights in a row pecking around on You Tube to find the full versions. It's a very unique sound, I have to say. A little Dylanish, a little Dr Jonesish, but definitely not exactly like either one. Very Happy I'm glad you posted about him!
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

Jenni,
I was going to send you a gift certificate so that you could download the album, but I just went to the site to do so, and eMusic has temporarily suspended that function (they say they are improving it). When they get it back up and running again, I will send you a certificate. Glad you like the music.

Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Awww, that's so sweet, thank you! I shall not turn down free good music! Razz
I just figured I'd kind of get them one at a time as I could. Cuz, you know, it's not the sort of thing they play on the radio. Which surprises me because it's not bad stuff. I wonder why it has taken this long for him to really catch on? Maybe the doc will come out on Netflix soon or someplace I can watch it. I'd be curious to see it. I guess maybe because he just doesn't have the flash that so many have nowadays. It seems like the "star quality" has become more important than the actual sound. I will never understand that, and it's not just with pop music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days   If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days Empty

Back to top Go down

If you ever needed proof that all pop sounds the same these days
Page 1 of 1