HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The BLOODHOUND Project

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

The BLOODHOUND Project Empty
PostSubject: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 pm

I have to think these guys are crazy by any normal measure. But at the same time, I'm kind of jealous too.

The BLOODHOUND Project

Of course, the craziest one is Andy Green, but you wouldn't think it to look at him. He seems to think that flying a jet fighter in wartime is the greatest, so driving a car at 1000mph is presumably just a Sunday afternoon cruise.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 am

Current land speed record, with tires, is 775 mph. Much faster than that and tires fly apart, heating of the air becomes a major factor, aerodynamics make it impossible to stay on the ground, and of course the power requirements are massive.

Trying for 1kmph will require some radical rethinking.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 pm

I believe the car which holds the current land speed record had solid aluminum wheels - no rubber tires. Of course, at those speeds, even metal wheels can fly apart if not properly constructed and balanced.

Race car aerodynamics to prevent flying away have been around for quite some time. The down pressure exerted by modern Formula 1 and Indy cars is greater than the weight of the car. Theoretically and mathematically, the cars should be able to drive upside down at high speed. Lift is not a problem at high speed - even 1,000 mph - control is the big problem.

As a young man, I had - as they say - a need for speed. 100+ mph on a motorcycle, 150 mph on public roads, and 200 mph on the track. But 1,000 mph is just fucking insane.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Andy Green and this team are the current record-holders, and the first to drive a "car" through the sound barrier. So it wouldn't be wise to assume that 1000mph is impossible, or that they aren't capable of achieving it. But my mind still boggles.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:26 pm

I think it's stupid.
It's a waste of science, resources, and time.
And it's not going to do much to "inspire the next generation". I think some people have way too much time on their hands and want to make their hobby sound good enough that they don't feel like idiots for spending such resources on a fast car as opposed to something we actually need.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:29 pm

The fastest bullet trains are what, 240 Mph? It's hard to think of an application for the technology to go 4x faster.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:36 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
The fastest bullet trains are what, 240 Mph?  It's hard to think of an application for the technology to go 4x faster.
Exactly. It just seems like something that isn't realistic for everyday life. IDK maybe I'm wrong, they do have to invent a lot to get there, much like NASA had to do with the space flights. We got a lot of tech out of that. But then that hadn't been done before. This sort of has, they aren't doing much new but just trying to beat another's record. It just seems silly.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BLOODHOUND Project   The BLOODHOUND Project Empty

Back to top Go down

The BLOODHOUND Project
Page 1 of 1