HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Down Syndrome + Alzheimers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Down Syndrome + Alzheimers Empty
PostSubject: Down Syndrome + Alzheimers   Down Syndrome + Alzheimers EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 am

Heard a report on NPR this morning about an unexpected link between these two. Now that Down Syndrome people are living into their 50s and 60s it has been discovered that nearly 100% of them develop Alzheimers. A protein on their extra 21st chomosome produces the amyloid (sp?) masses that characterize Alzheimers.

Having a population that is 100% guaranteed to develop Alzheimers means preventive medicines can be tested. Previously it was anybody's guess who would develop Alzheimers, so it was nearly impossible to administer preventives early enough to do any good.

Fascinating development.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

Down Syndrome + Alzheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down Syndrome + Alzheimers   Down Syndrome + Alzheimers EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 10:37 pm

It is interesting. I've always thought that look was a symbol of something deeper wrong. Not in character of course, but just that - I guess I sensed it was wrong for a mother to carry a known Down's child to full term because it was god's will bothered me. I suspected they would have more to deal with than just Down's. Genes seem to be connected and while one may do x it also does Q. Change it, as in the case of Down's and you change other things- a genetic butterfly effect, if you will.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com

Down Syndrome + Alzheimers
Page 1 of 1