Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm

_Howard wrote:
I'm surprised the bank won't supply these devices. They are still giving out BlackBerries, which everyone hates.
RIM discounts like 85% to corporate accounts. Apple is I think 5%.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:03 am

_Howard wrote:
Okay, I ordered an iPad Mini with the retina display and 32GB. I think that should do it okay.
Show up yet?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

Showed up the day after I ordered it.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 am

Well???? Fanboy yet? Smile
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:13 am

Nope. The device is for my wife. I will just set it up and that's it.

Gave up on Siri after ten minutes. Asked a question and the response was, "That's a good question." Went to Google and found the answer in three seconds.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am

Ask Siri what the answer to everything is.

Or how to achieve world peace.

Or how to nudge a curmudgeon into fanboyhood.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 am

_Howard wrote:
Asked a question and the response was, "That's a good question."
What did you ask?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 11:38 am

I asked if a rattlesnake sheds its rattles when it sheds its skin.
Google answered the question.

NoCoPilot wrote:
Ask Siri what the answer to everything is.
If Siri had a sense of humor, it would answer, "43."
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Try it. At least Siri is accurate.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Ha!
You've done that, haven't you?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:34 am

Have you ever used your iPhone as a hotspot for your iPad?

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 am

No. I think it costs money.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:47 pm

I have heard that a couple of cell phone companies charge you for the privilege of using your phone as a hotspot, even though they are already charging you for data usage. Unacceptable.

The problem I - and everyone else - is having is that the iPhone WiFi hotspot disconnects after a couple of minutes of inactivity, so you have to reestablish the connection. Kind if an irritant.

After my previous post, however, I kept playing around and discovered that if I use bluetooth for the hotspot connection, there is no disconnection problem. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Bluetooth is a lot of fun to play around with.

I never need a wifi hotspot because I have wifi networks everywhere I work. When I'm traveling -- like right now -- the phone is more portable.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 1:26 pm

The iPad Mini is for my wife. She travels on business a lot and none of the offices have WiFi access points. (Banks are funny that way.) But we have had a WiFi AP here at the house for many years.

The iPhone is much too small for her needs and the iPad Mini is small enough to fit easily in her purse (although my daughter did point out that some of Mom's purses are big enough for a desktop). The new "Retina" display is beautiful; even small type is easy to read. So she will have no problem reading all the charts, graphs, and other attachments that come in her email every damn day.

As clever as most Apple products are, they do have some a few strange problems, like this idiotic intermittent WiFi issue. Some people on the forums I have read keep a program running - like a music site - just to keep the WiFi connected. That sort of thing is unnecessary and Apple should be ashamed.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Maybe. There's probably a security reason or something stoopid like that.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 2:13 pm

There is no security issue that could cause a problem such as this one.
This is caused by a software error, marginally-acceptable hardware, or was intentionally implemented.

Many other people have experienced even worse problems since Apple "upgraded" to IOS7. Some have been unable to use WiFi at all - the selection for WiFi has been greyed out on their phones. Others have gone through long, tedious trial-and-error processes to get the things to work. Some have even had Apple replace their phones in an attempt to get the WiFi to work.

One explanation is that the WiFi is disabled after two minutes or so on inactivity to preserve battery life. I find this reasonable, as my iPhone's battery life dropped dramatically after IOS7 was installed.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Huh. I guess I'm blessed to have had none of those problems.

Have you checked your karma lately?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Believe me, if there is an unusual problem that affects 0.1% of the population, I will have it.

I traded my karma for a new belt drive for my Harley many years ago.

Old joke:
Biker says, "I got a new Harley for my wife."
Friend says, "That's was very nice."
Biker says, "Yeah. I'm really going to miss that woman."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)   Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Which MacBook? (mainly for NoCo)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2