HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela Empty
PostSubject: CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela   CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Today's CD store finds included this 2000 compilation from this great South African trumpeter/vocalist.  I was familiar with "Grazing in the Grass" of course but knew little else from his long and storied career (born 1939 and still active).  He's done a lot of great music, and been everywhere and done everything.  I did not know Winnie Madikizela-Mandela worked for Masekela's mother at a hospital in Johannesburg, I did not know he'd been married to Miriam Makeba!

His music is an interesting mix of South African rhythms & instruments with European production, sometimes almost Muzaky but with overtly-political lyrics (in either English or Zulu). His subtle use of mbaqanga rhythms keeps the music grounded in South Africa.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela   CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 8:45 am

Hugh Masekela. Now there's a name I haven't heard for many years.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela   CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Awesomesauce, indeed.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela   CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela Empty

Back to top Go down

CD: Grazing in the Grass - The Best of Hugh Masekela
Page 1 of 1