HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Binding the Brain

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Binding the Brain Empty
PostSubject: Binding the Brain   Binding the Brain EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:51 am

Japanese women used to bind their feet from childhood, to keep them small. Small feet were considered a desirable asset.

Masai women essentially bind their necks, by wearing multiple tight-fitting golden bands. Long necks are considered a desirable trait.

There used to be some people -- forget who -- who bound the heads of their infants to give them elongated skulls. I forget why.

I was just thinking about this in relation to evangelical families. They bind their children's brains with strict teachings, outside of which they're not allowed to roam. This results in misshapen brains as surely as bound feet or necks.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Binding the Brain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Binding the Brain   Binding the Brain EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Excellent analogy, NoCo, one that had never occurred to me. (Mine are normally nasty and insulting when it comes to evangelicals.)

One note, though. The Chinese practiced foot binding for many centuries. I don't believe the Japanese ever engaged in that.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Binding the Brain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Binding the Brain   Binding the Brain EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Dang, you're right. In my defense my brain is all bound up.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Binding the Brain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Binding the Brain   Binding the Brain EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 2:00 pm

I admit to an unfair advantage. Many years ago, I knew a Chinese woman whose feet were bound. A Chinese man named Hem Gin needed a new wife after his first died. He had kids and a restaurant to run. His family in China picked one for him and shipped her over here. She was probably around fifty years old at the time and her feet were bound. It never seemed to slow her down, though. She quickly acquired the sobriquet , "Dragon Lady." She was not one you wanted to be angry with you.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Binding the Brain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Binding the Brain   Binding the Brain Empty

Back to top Go down

Binding the Brain
Page 1 of 1