HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Glass-Steagall Act

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

New Glass-Steagall Act Empty
PostSubject: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyFri May 16, 2014 5:45 am

My pal Elizabeth Warren joins with my senator Cantwell and Loon McCain to rein in the banks.. What chance passage?

Here's a perfect example (gun control is another) where Congress has the chance to enact legislation the people want, if only they can wean themselves from lobbyist money.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyTue May 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Glass-Steagall is such an obviously reasonable, valuable, and necessary law that it probably has no chance of reinstatement with the current Congress.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 21, 2014 6:36 am

Alas, and alack.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Matters such as this often remind me of once spending some a few days, back in 1969, with an Hungarian economist who had just completed spending several years working with the government of India in designing a new economy for their country.

I wonder what we could come up with if this backward country took the step of hiring renowned economists from throughout the world to design a new economy for us. No doubt it would be very different from what we have now. (Actually a handful of third grade children could probably design a better economy than what we now have.)

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyTue May 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 4:35 pm

I don't doubt Warren's drive, honesty, and integrity. I have great admiration for her, and I think she has more balls than anyone else in the arena. Unfortunately, she has to contend with a bunch of corrupt assholes in Congress, the Justice Department, and scrotus.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Yep. The system's broke. One person cannot fix.

However, we shouldn't stop trying.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:18 pm

The system is not broken; the system is unworkable.

Democracy and corporate capitalism cannot effectively coexist.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:30 pm

If you amend your statement to "Democracy and UNFETTERED corporate capitalism cannot effectively coexist" I'd agree.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:36 pm

I intentionally left that word out after consideration. Corporate capitalism requires a lack of oversight and regulation. That's why it cannot coexist with democracy.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Why do you say that? You think rules&regs are incompatible with business? I strongly disagree. Businesses should have a level playing field with each other but not against the public. Health & safety, predatory practices and truth-in-advertising should be strictly enforced.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:52 pm

I do not think rules & regs are incompatible with business; I think they are necessary. But I'm not talking about simple business; I'm talking specifically about corporate capitalism. They do everything they can to eliminate rules & regs and competition. A level playing field is anathema to them. They spend huge sums of money buying and influencing those who should be responsible for regulating them, thus degrading the concept of democracy which is intended to benefit the general populace.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:14 pm

New rule: Regulations go out the door when the legislators who wrote them get shitcanned.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:32 pm

New rule: When you break a law you go to prison - no matter how much money you make.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:41 pm

New rule: like payraises for legislators, regulations do not go into effect while you're still in office.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:42 pm

...or when your friends are still in executive positions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Glass-Steagall Act   New Glass-Steagall Act Empty

Back to top Go down

New Glass-Steagall Act
Page 1 of 1