"Under God"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: "Under God"   "Under God" EmptyFri May 09, 2014 5:10 pm

The Massachusetts Supreme Court has ruled that use of the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, which was only added in the 1950s if memory serves, is an expression of patriotism -- not religion.

What the fuck.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Under God"   "Under God" EmptyFri May 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Eisenhower had the phrase added to differentiate Americans from the "godless" communists.

When I learned the pledge, which we recited every morning in elementary school. that phrase wasn't there. After it was added, even as a wee child, I didn't like it and skipped that phrase, just moving my lips without actually reciting that line. Yes, I have always been a trouble maker and a horrible, unAmerican pagan.  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Under God"   "Under God" EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:38 pm

The present court lacks any sense of honor, duty or patriotism. They vote like the none-too-bright
partisan political hacks they are.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Under God"   "Under God" EmptySat May 10, 2014 1:42 am

I remember, as a kid, being bothered not only by the "under God" phrase but by the whole idea of a pledge of allegiance. I wanted no allegiance to a country, a nation, a republic. I wanted the nation to make promises to me.

Afterall, it was supposed to be a government "of the people, by the people and for the people."
MA Supremes wrote:
Here there is no discriminatory classification for purposes of art. 106 — no differing treatment of any class or classes of students based on their sex, race, color, creed, or national origin. All students are treated alike. They are free, if they choose, to recite the pledge or any part of it that they see fit. They are entirely free as well to choose to abstain. No one is required to say all or even any part of it. And significantly, no student who abstains from reciting the pledge, or any part of it, is required to articulate a reason for his or her choice to do so.
Maybe today.

I remember back in the sixties being called out for not putting my hand on my heart and saying the pledge. I had to explain, many times, why I wanted to abstain.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Under God"   "Under God" EmptySat May 10, 2014 6:03 pm

richard09 wrote:
The present court lacks any sense of honor, duty or patriotism. They vote like the none-too-bright
partisan political hacks they are.

I couldn't agree more. Time for Obama to threaten the court-packing scheme that Roosevelt played so brilliantly. (Roosevelt is my all-time favorite president. I'm so fucking old that Roosevelt was pres when I was born.)
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Under God"   "Under God" EmptySat May 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Lots of black people still named "Roosevelt."

_Howard wrote:
Time for Obama to threaten the Court packing-scheme"
Time for a couple of impeachments on SCOTUS.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Under God" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Under God"   "Under God" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Under God"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Government & Finance-
Jump to: