HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose Empty
PostSubject: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm

If I can't use my current software, I will not buy another PC. Microsoft's Windows Upgrade Assistant, which checks your computer for Windows compatibility won't even run on my machine.

I think the buys in Redmond are pissing off hundreds of millions of people, including a large number of businesses (oh, and me, too).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 5:51 am

As I understand it, XP is still in use in a lot of businesses, especially overseas. Stopping support for it is another of those inexplicable business decisions Microsoft makes. I'm sure there's some logic to it, it's just not obvious to an outsider.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 pm

I heard a blurb a couple of days ago that said about 95% of the ATMs in the country are running XP. Glad I don't use them.

Microsoft's business decisions are always easy to understand: Money, money, money, money.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 3:56 pm

_Howard wrote:
Microsoft's business decisions are always easy to understand: Money, money, money, money.
Except this one isn't going to be a flow in the direction they like.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Don't bet on that. I can't imagine a large business switching from Windows to Apple computers just because of the requirement to update the OS and some of their hardware. It would be more of a hassle for them to switch to Apple computers.

Microsoft's business model has always been sleazy. I'm surprised they supported XP for as long as they did.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 am

_Howard wrote:
Don't bet on that. I can't imagine a large business switching from Windows to Apple computers just because of the requirement to update the OS and some of their hardware. It would be more of a hassle for them to switch to Apple computers.
The article you linked wrote:
It might sound odd that ATMs are running on aging software better suited to a home PC. In fact, security experts have chastised the financial industry for putting ATMs on a PC operating system in the first place. They argue ATMs should be using software that is scaled down and less buggy, such as Linux.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose EmptySat May 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose   Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose Empty

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Kills the Golden Goose
Page 1 of 1