HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: The Snowden Files

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: The Snowden Files Empty
PostSubject: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 6:24 am

Just starting in on this February 2014 book by Luke Harding about Edward Snowden.

Already several surprising revelations -- Snowden was a vehement critic of WikiLeaks, Snowden was a Ron Paul supporter, Snowden's girlfriend was an accomplished pole-dancer. Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 4:25 pm

Those were just some of the things that led me to refer to Snowden as a wacko in an earlier thread.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 10:38 pm

With all due respect, the facts do not support your view.
Back to top Go down
SAI2

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 pm

Critic of wikileaks? Isn't that a tad hypocritical?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

You'd have to read the book. Snowden (and The Guardian) are being very careful to redact any operational information that could harm security or personnel. Snowden thought Assange wasn't being sufficiently careful about this, alhough Assange and Manning did try.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 1:48 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
With all due respect, the facts do not support your view.
What "facts" make my opinion of Snowden invalid? I'm not speaking to the actions that made him famous, but rather to some personal foibles and political eccentricities described in a couple of articles.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Snowden is not a "wacko" if by "wacko" you mean a person of limited principles, uneven disposition, ill-defined motivations or who does not know exactly what he's doing and willingly accepts the consequences of his actions.

Or do you think he's "wacko" for sleeping with this?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 2:27 pm

By "wacko," I mean what I just wrote: "some personal foibles and political eccentricities."

Do a google search for TheTrueHOOHA and check a few of the articles that turn up.
There's nothing there that makes me think Snowden is either insane or brilliant. He just seems like a confused young man who isn't quite sure what he wants, or what is right and what is wrong.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 2:34 pm

I do not want to do a Google search for TheTrueHOOHA. I have enough trouble with the NSA already.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 am

Luke Harding is a correspondent for The Guardian, so the book is written from (largely) a British viewpoint. Lots of column inches given over to GCHQ's ties to the NSA, and the MI5, MI6 & DI. The first third of the book is the story of Snowden, his history and how he came to have access to top secret files and how his view slowly evolved, eventually leading him to quit his $200,000/yr job, leave his girlfriend, disappear from Hawaii and fly anonymously to Hong Kong and begin surrepticiously contacting journalists who could publicize the files he'd stolen.

About the last 2/3 of the book is an explanation of the various security agencies in the US and UK and the many different programs they created to intercept internet traffic and phone calls, looking for anything suspicious. While understandable *in theory* in practice these programs quickly got out of control/out of bounds, for instance tapping Angela Merkel's personal cell phone.

The book ends with the story of David Miranda's detention at Heathrow, on suspicion of carrying materials for Glenn Greenwald's book from his meeting in Berlin with filmmaker Laura Poitras enroute back home in Rio de Janeiro. His 9-hour detention, under the "authority" of the Terrorism Act, of course had nothing to do with terrorism, and was merely an abuse of power in the service of intimidation. It's a commentary on the erosion of our personal rights and freedoms that such Gestapo tactics barely raised an eyebrow.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Snowden's new book ordered.
Edward Snowden wrote:
Donald Trump strikes me as nothing so much as a man who has never known a love that he hasn’t had to pay for. And I think that forms all of his decision making. I think that explains all of the things that we see. This is someone who sees the world through a prism of a very, very sad lens, which is that what he is, who he is, does not today, and never has and never will, have any value. The only thing that matters is what he has, what he can trade. And I think that really explains all of the transactional corruption that we have seen throughout this administration, is simply someone who thinks that’s what life is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Snowden Files   Book: The Snowden Files Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: The Snowden Files
Page 1 of 1