Electric Cars

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Seems like most electric cars produced are high-priced sports cars like the Tesla and Fisker Karma, where the high price of batteries (and development) can be disguised by a premium sports car price.

Cheaper more conventional cars, where the comparisons to gasoline equivalents are easier,  unfortunately only point up the fact that the electrics don't pay for themselves.

What the industry needs to do -- and frankly I don't understand why they haven't -- is come up with a small all-purpose 4WD SUV/truck.  Trucks have higher profit margins than cars.  An all-weather, all-terrain vehicle would appeal to everyday drivers.  Sports car enthusiasts demand performance as their first/only priority, but economy could be the strongest asset of an electric SUV. Top speed 75, range 200 mi, 0-60 12 seconds.  That'd make them cheaper to produce and easier to market, instead of specialty, limited-appeal models.

They could enter the consumer mass market.  Prices would come down.  Infrastructure would be built out.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Seems like most electric cars produced are high-priced sports cars like the Tesla and Fisker Karma, where the high price of batteries (and development) can be disguised by a premium sports car price.

The Tesla sports car was designed to be a proof of concept. And it succeeded remarkably well. The new Tesla Model S sedan is a beautiful car, achieving the highest rating for any car ever tested by Consumer Reports, being named Motor Trend car of the year, and getting nothing by very high praise from all automotive publications. Tesla is introducing the Model X this year, an SUV (or "crossover" if you prefer).

NoCoPilot wrote:
Cheaper more conventional cars, where the comparisons to gasoline equivalents are easier,  unfortunately only point up the fact that the electrics don't pay for themselves.
No, electric cars don't pay for themselves, but neither do petroleum-powerd cars. Even horse-drawn buggies don't pay for themselves.

NoCoPilot wrote:
Sports car enthusiasts demand performance as their first/only priority.
First maybe, but not only.

NoCoPilot wrote:
...but economy could be the strongest asset of an electric SUV.  Top speed 75, range 200 mi, 0-60 12 seconds.  That'd make them cheaper to produce and easier to market, instead of specialty, limited-appeal models.
And who do you know who wants to buy a 75-mph car that goes 0-60 in 12 seconds. Welcome to 1946.

NoCoPilot wrote:
They could enter the consumer mass market.  Prices would come down.  Infrastructure would be built out.
Tesla is slowly rolling out infrastructure in the form of strategically-placed charging stations (about 80 so far) which recharge the cars in about 20 minutes - at no cost. Not a bad deal.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 4:31 pm

_Howard wrote:
And who do you know who wants to buy a 75-mph car that goes 0-60 in 12 seconds. Welcome to 1946.
Me. And a lot of people like me who aren't interested in Corvettes and Ferraris. A good practical car with reasonable specs, low cost of ownership and environmental responsibility would be a big seller I think.

As I've said often... I have needed to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood a lot oftener than I've needed to go 200 mph.

Not everyone lusts after a GT40.
Quote :
The Ford GT is one of the popular car which comes with a mid-engine two seater. This car is quiet popular with regards to the design and colors that it offers. Besides it functionality with great system is add ion advantage. The car has been designed from its old model which was popular in 1960 called Ford's GT40. This middle man came into existence in year 2005 and 2006 and has still gained lot of popularity. With a great engine, manual transmission and comfort interior, it is one of the best car that has come so far at a great deal.
http://www.moibibiki.com/Ford%20GT.html
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
As I've said often... I have needed to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood a lot oftener than I've needed to go 200 mph.
I also have a small pickup suitable for hauling plywood. There are currently no laws of which I am aware which prevent the ownership of two motor vehicles.

The GT40 (replica) is one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever driven. And also the most fun. Then again, until I was in my late fifties, my primary mode of transportation was a Harley Davidson. If one spends any significant amount of time on the road, it only seems sensible to me that one tries to enjoy it as much as possible.

By the way, the Ford GT and the GT40 are very different cars.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 9:37 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
What the industry needs to do -- and frankly I don't understand why they haven't -- is come up with a small all-purpose 4WD SUV/truck.  

Looks like maybe VW is finally exploring this?
Electric Cars 210907104647-03-volkswagen-id-life-suv-exlarge-169
Electric Cars 210907104341-01-volkswagen-id-life-suv-exlarge-169

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/07/success/vw-id-life-electric-suv/index.html

Of course, Subaru will have one next year (probably....)
https://www.subaru.com/solterra-ev
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptyWed Sep 29, 2021 3:16 pm

The Rivian (two models) is supposed to hit the market "in 2021."

They'd better hurry up.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 4:28 pm

It's here. Sort of.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars EmptyFri Nov 12, 2021 9:04 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Of course, Subaru will have one next year (probably....)

New Subaru Solterra is here too. Too bad about the front fenders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Electric Cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Cars   Electric Cars Empty

Back to top Go down

Electric Cars
Page 1 of 1