HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Netflix Series: Atypical

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Netflix Series: Atypical Empty
PostSubject: Netflix Series: Atypical   Netflix Series: Atypical EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 6:31 pm

A series about a 17-year old autistic boy who's feeling the need to start dating... but doesn't know how to go about it.

The depiction of autism is realistic and respectful.

The supporting cast -- his family -- is three dimensional and believable and full of quirks (as people are). In particular, the over-protective sister is really well written.

So far (3 episodes in).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Netflix Series: Atypical   Netflix Series: Atypical EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 10:26 am

Finished all eight episodes of season one, and started in on the ten episodes of season two.

Still impressive writing. Some very deft touches.

For instance: Sam's co-worker and best friend Zahid -- obviously of Indian or Middle Eastern heritage -- comes to dinner at Sam's house. His parents, in a typical friendly passive-aggressive way, ask Zahid where his family is from.

He replies "New Jersey. My dad moved us here for a job when I was like two, but we still go back to visit relatives a couple times per year."

The line goes by without mention, but it's typical of the low-key humor and self-awareness the series achieves.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Netflix Series: Atypical   Netflix Series: Atypical EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am

Finished Season Two and was surprised to see Netflix launch directly into Season Three.  Turns out there are FOUR seasons!  Oh my god, too much to binge all at once. This might take a couple weeks.

According to Wikipedia, after Season One the show began featuring more autistic characters, played by real autistic actors. The plotlines though are spinning off into all sorts of mini-dramas swirling around the other characters on the show.

Some more believable than others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Netflix Series: Atypical   Netflix Series: Atypical Empty

Back to top Go down

Netflix Series: Atypical
Page 1 of 1