HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Sense of Belonging

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

A Sense of Belonging Empty
PostSubject: A Sense of Belonging   A Sense of Belonging EmptyWed Oct 04, 2023 3:10 pm

Occasionally cosmic rays strike my brain and I have odd thoughts.

Last night, as I was trying to fall asleep, I was thinking about various men's lodges and clubs that were so prevalent in the 1950s & 1960s: VFW, Shriners, Kiwanis, Freemasons, Moose, Elks, Rotary, Lions, even the John Birch Society. Seems like everybody had a club they could go to, to find camaraderie away from home, drink some beers, tell war stories, hang out with other guys.

Not so much anymore.

These days everyone sits in front of their TVs in sweatpants, swearing at the news and getting sloshed alone.  Social interaction, exposure to alternate viewpoints, reasoned dialogue and informed debate are things of the past. These days it's instant bias confirmation or the channel gets switched.

I wonder if we've lost some respect for our fellow man.

Veterans since WWII have mostly been quiet about their service, anxious to forget it, because of the questionable moral circumstances under which they "served." Veterans no longer want to recreate that sense of belonging they had in their unit.
Back to top Go down

A Sense of Belonging
Page 1 of 1