HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Havergal Brian

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Havergal Brian Empty
PostSubject: Havergal Brian   Havergal Brian EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 7:40 pm

There's a fairly obscure British composer named Havergal Brian (1876-1972), whose first symphony is famous for its ambition.  Two hours long, it requires a huge (almost double) symphony orchestra, two adult choirs, a children's choir and four choir soloists.  Because of its infamy I happened to have a copy of this symphony. It has been performed only a handful of times, and to my knowledge recorded only twice.

Recently, there was a discussion of Brian's other works on the classical music board I monitor.  I realized I knew nothing about his other works.

Turns out he was prolific: 32 symphonies, numerous symphonic suites, concertos, sonatas, operas, yadda yadda yadda.  There were ZERO releases on the Ukrainian site I like to use, and everything on Apple iTunes was $10 per album.  I decided I needed to sample, to see what's worth having.

Went to YouTube, which increasingly has everything you could look for.  First thing that popped up was a channel entitled The Complete Works of Havergal Brian.  Free for the download.

So what could I do, I had to download all sixty pieces.  21 hours and 1 minute.  Burned to 4 CD-Rs in the MP3 format, each one 5 hours long.

Will I ever listen to the whole thing?  Probably not.  But I have it.
Back to top Go down

Havergal Brian
Page 1 of 1