HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: Rachel Maddow

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: Rachel Maddow Empty
PostSubject: Book: Rachel Maddow   Book: Rachel Maddow EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 11:32 pm

Today I ran across this 2019 biography of Maddow by Lisa Rogak. It's breezy and mostly sourced from public records -- no indication she even interviewed the subject herself -- but I do loves me some Rachel. Just to read her life story (so far) is a joy.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: Rachel Maddow   Book: Rachel Maddow EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Yeah, I watched her interview by Howard Stern on YouTube, and what she said was quoted almost verbatim in the book. It is, as mentioned, "publicly sourced."
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: Rachel Maddow   Book: Rachel Maddow EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 12:53 pm

The book mentions that Rachel has frequent, maybe constant bouts with depression and self doubt.  She drives herself so hard because of her overwhelming fear of failure.

Back in 2020 she mentioned on-air that her partner Susan Mikula had contracted Covid.  It was serious but she recovered, although she's had some symptoms of "long Covid" ever since: fatigue, confusion, unexplained headaches.

Then last month she went on a hiatus.  The reasons she gave were, one, to work on a movie or multi-part TV documentary version of "Bag Man," her book about Spiro Agnew.  And two, to develop some other new project she was working on, the details of which she didn't want to divulge.

I suspect there was also a three: doing a fact-filled carefully scripted show five days a week is exhausting.

But now I'm starting to worry that her GF's health and her own depression might be encouraging her to pull back somewhat from her insane work schedule.  She might retire or scale way back, like her mentor Keith Olbermann.

I for one would be devastated.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: Rachel Maddow   Book: Rachel Maddow EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 3:37 pm

Susan has a website with a bunch of her work.  She does soft-focus (a nice way of saying "out of focus") Polaroid prints, mostly monochromatic, all uninteresting subjects like empty roads, houses in the distance, shadows of people.  Photos that look like accidents, or maybe some kid got hold of the camera.

Yeah.  "Art." :rolleyes:
Book: Rachel Maddow Susan-Mikula_National-Seashore-03_1000
Book: Rachel Maddow Started-Early-Took-my-Dog-3Av2_susan-mikula_800
Book: Rachel Maddow Until-We-met-the-Solid-Town-11_susan-mikula_sw-flag
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: Rachel Maddow   Book: Rachel Maddow EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 3:44 pm

Lisa Rogak wrote:
For better or worse, Susan has learned to adapt to the many strangers who e-mail her with both positive and negative comments on her artwork specifically because of her relationship with Rachel. And though a few have offered up uncomplimentary feedback about her often out-of-focus work, even going so far as to suggest that she should see an optometrist, Susan has charitably welcomed all feedback.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: Rachel Maddow   Book: Rachel Maddow Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: Rachel Maddow
Page 1 of 1