HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

College Sports Go Professional

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

College Sports Go Professional Empty
PostSubject: College Sports Go Professional   College Sports Go Professional EmptyFri Jul 02, 2021 8:29 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/30/sport/ncaa-nil-spt/index.html

I personally think this is a TERRIBLE idea.  Even the old broken 'amateur athlete' model TRIED to maintain the fiction that student athletes were getting an education.  Now even this fiction is out the window.

Coaches will find pressure to play highly-paid athletes, regardless of whether they benefit the team.  Attractive white athletes will force out better athletes of color or less rugged features.  Grandstanding will supersede team sports, and coaches will receive kickbacks from endorsers.  Without salary caps, like the pro teams, you'll have UCLA and Michigan State dominating all sports.

I never paid much attention to college sports anyway, but this decision just killed them forever.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

College Sports Go Professional Empty
PostSubject: Re: College Sports Go Professional   College Sports Go Professional EmptyFri Jul 02, 2021 2:50 pm

I just don't see the objection. Basically, the sports aren't changing. The only difference is that the athletes get to share a little of the dosh.

Weeping and wailing about the loss of "purity" just fails completely to notice that the situation has been completely corrupt for decades, and that many people were getting screwed over - all of them student athletes. If you want to insist that student athletes get an education, press for rules that enforce that. If you don't, you will continue to get professional athletes that are illiterate. And students athletes that don't quite make it to the pros and are left with nothing (no career, no education, and no money).
Back to top Go down

College Sports Go Professional
Page 1 of 1