watching Netflix

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

watching Netflix Empty
PostSubject: watching Netflix   watching Netflix EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 6:46 pm

I've been watching a lot of TV lately, most of it Netflix. I'm currently working my way through Hinterland, Babylon Berlin, Peaky Blinders, Hemlock Grove, and Better Than Us.

Hinterland: BBC Wales cop show, notionally set in Aberystwyth but so far mostly being in the surrounding villages and countryside. Rather gloomy, in a style similar to "Nordic noir", but I like it a lot.

Babylon Berlin: German mystery, set in the 1920s. Has won oodles of awards, and deservedly so. The English dub is awful, so go with the original German and subtitles, even if you usually watch dubs.

Peaky Blinders: English gangsters in 1919 Birmingham. Just because of the period, there's a temptation to compare it to Babylon Berlin, but that's not fair. It's a different place and culture, and I think it's pretty good. Plus the characters talk like me (I grew up not that far from Birmingham).

Hemlock Grove: monsters

Better Than Us: in a future where robots follow Asimov's three laws of robotics, there's a killer robot on the loose, and it adopts a family who think it is just a maid/nanny.

If you haven't seen it, Babylon Berlin is must-see TV, as they say.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

watching Netflix Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Netflix   watching Netflix EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 8:31 pm

I watched all three seasons of Hinterland, and it's really good, right to the end.

I've watched two seasons each of Babylon Berlin and Peaky Blinders, and they both just get better as they go along.

I've started two new shows, Deadwind and Marcella. Both cop shows, one Finnish, one English. Both featuring intricate plots where you don't know what's going to happen next. (Not at all like American TV shows).
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

watching Netflix Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Netflix   watching Netflix EmptyWed Dec 30, 2020 1:58 pm

If you like Peaky Blinders you may want to check out Boardwalk Empire. I think Hulu and Amazon both have it and it's worth the free trial or hell, PM me and I'll share my password if you want. Travelers is another really good one. They didn't do enough seasons of it. I hope someone will pick it up and start again.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

watching Netflix Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Netflix   watching Netflix Empty

Back to top Go down

watching Netflix
Page 1 of 1