HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Visualizing General Relativity

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Visualizing General Relativity Empty
PostSubject: Visualizing General Relativity   Visualizing General Relativity EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 9:24 am

This is a bit different than the usual rubber-sheet visual.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Visualizing General Relativity   Visualizing General Relativity EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes, I love seeing new explanations of gravity. Gravity remains one of the most puzzling aspects of the universe, since "instantaneous action at a distance" isn't supposed to be possible without the exchange of some fundamental particle (the 'graviton') to transmit it.

I'm not sure this visualization adds much. Basically it just takes the 2-dimensional rubber sheet visualization and makes it into a 3-dimensional rubber sheet, with the grid lines falling into the gravitational body. In the same way that you can't explain gravity by saying that items "fall into the gravity well due to gravity," you can't really say "gravity works by items falling into the contracting space by gravity." There's still something ineffable about gravity that remains unexplained.

Coincidentally, I'm reading a couple books about atomic bombs, and the incredible energy contained inside atoms. Considering the universe arose spontaneously from nothing, the fact that 'matter is condensed energy' of such incredibly high density indicates a background energy in the universe which is unimaginably huge. I'm sure gravity is somehow tied to this concept, but I'm not smart enough to work out the connection.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Visualizing General Relativity   Visualizing General Relativity EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 12:10 pm

At one point in the visualization presented, the author says "you can see how the surface of the Earth is continuously expanding against the contracting space around it." This reminds me of a pamphlet I bought in high school, called "The Einstein Gravity Monster" where the author, a fevered junior physics student, postulated that the Earth (and all gravitational bodies) are expanding, and their expansion is accelerating -- acceleration being indistinguishable from gravity. It makes sense on one level, until you begin contemplating the dynamics of constant acceleration, not just expansion. With everything expanding equally, interstitial space becomes hard to define.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Visualizing General Relativity   Visualizing General Relativity Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1