HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: Midnight Cowboy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Midnight Cowboy Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:59 am

Every now and then I run across a DVD in the used movie store of a movie that's famous but I've never seen it.

Once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised. Usually I'm not.

Can anyone explain to me why Midnight Cowboy won any awards? I thought it was terrible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 11:41 am

Maybe it was the soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 am

Harry Nilsson? That's a stretch.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Like many movies, "Midnight Cowboy" may be dated. Some movies just don't hold up over time.

I saw the movie when it was released. It was 1969 in Albuquerque. Four of us went: one hippie combat veteran, one gorgeous German dancer who was in the country illegally, one Hungarian immigrant who was studying for his doctorate in history, and one renown weaver of beautiful artworks. We were all just a little baked; maybe that helped, because we all liked it quite a bit.

It was the only X-rated movie to ever win awards, I think.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

It seems very dated now, to me, partly because NYC has changed so much since then, partly because the rest of the country has too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 8:23 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Harry Nilsson?  That's a stretch.

Ferrante & Teicher
Back to top Go down
SAI2

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 12:55 pm

richard09 wrote:
It seems very dated now, to me, partly because NYC has changed so much since then, partly because the rest of the country has too.

Yes, I think it really is only intelligible in the context of the time it was made. It is really tough to pin down exactly what the writer and director was trying to get across. At least to me.

Anyone have any ideas? What exactly was the point behind making MC?
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm

It's based on a novel, it's just an odd couple movie with a XXX angle, which was novel for its day.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Like many movies of the time I suppose the message was that there is no message. Just a study of two characters who are drawn together by circumstances.

Neither character is very fleshed out, in my opinion. Neither character felt like a real person.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Like many movies of the time I suppose the message was that there is no message. Just a study of two characters who are drawn together by circumstances.

Neither character is very fleshed out, in my opinion. Neither character felt like a real person.
I don't disagree. If one were really interested maybe check the book out, you are never able to do in a movie what you can in a book and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Midnight Cowboy   Movie: Midnight Cowboy Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: Midnight Cowboy
Page 1 of 1