HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ella

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Ella                        Empty
PostSubject: Ella    Ella                        EmptyFri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm

One of the artists Norman Granz managed was Ella Fitzgerald.  I used to have a dozen LPs of hers, but they all went away and I only have a couple of CDs.  Last weekend, with a special 10¢/song deal at my favorite semi-legal download site (and a lot of boredom), I decided to remedy that.

Found all of the Songbooks (Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, Irving Berlin, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, others -- which I think were her best work) available there for dirt cheap. Decided I could not choose which songs I wanted, so I went crazy and spent like $25 to download them all.

256 songs, 15-1/2 hours of music.

All in stunning fidelity.

Put them on 3 CD-Rs as MP3s, because all of my players do MP3 discs too.  Then I realized, hey, I should put them on a USB stick too.  I had a couple empty 32G sticks on hand.  All of the above only came to like 9 gigs.

So I've been listening to this is my car all week, on random shuffle, and god damn it's nice.  All of the songbooks were done about the same time -- 1957-1965 -- and all were produced by Norman Granz using the best sidemen in his roster.  All of the renditions are top notch, not a stinker in the pot.  Ella was at her peak powers -- which were considerable.

God damn!
Back to top Go down

Ella
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Arts & Entertainment-
Jump to: