HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Third Stream Music

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Third Stream Music Empty
PostSubject: Third Stream Music   Third Stream Music EmptyWed May 13, 2020 4:29 pm

I've gone on at some length here before about Jimmy Giuffre and his percussionless jazz trios, and his album of clarinet & orchestra.  In 1959-1961 there was a brief musical fad called "third stream" -- practiced by several other jazzoids -- combining jazz bands & orchestra.  Proponents included Giuffre, Paul Desmond, Gerry Mulligan, Gil Evans, Don Sebesky, Josef Zawinul, Jacques Loussier, and several others.

As I've mentioned before, I love shit like this that defies categorization.  

So, a couple weeks ago I was looking into MJQ albums, who were certainly cross-genre.  Found several that I didn't have, and in fact found that there's an "8 albums on 4 CDs" set that includes most of what I didn't have.  I ordered it.

One of the albums is called "Third Stream Music" (1960) and includes the Jimmy Giuffre Trio and a string orchestra, in addition to the MJQ.

Unfortunately, this being a cheap boxed set, the album is dubbed from vinyl, with annoying surface noise.  Quelle fromage!

Went looking on Apple Music for a better original tape version, and not too surprisingly found it.  Downloaded.  It's only 36 minutes in length though, so I went looking for something else to fill out a CD-R.

Found a 1961 album called "The Modern Jazz Quartet With Orchestra" which I'd never heard of before.  It fits the bill perfectly -- sorta jazz, sorta classical, and all wonderful.  

It's kinda sad that my hobby is so solitary.  Probably nobody else in the world will ever know how much fun I have had tracking down stuff like this, or why.
Back to top Go down

Third Stream Music
Page 1 of 1