HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2020 Investment Webinar

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

2020 Investment Webinar Empty
PostSubject: 2020 Investment Webinar   2020 Investment Webinar EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Just got off a 1-hour webinar with Efficient Market Advisors, the investment firm my broker uses for evaluating the markets.

As expected, he said "Everything will be fine, no need to panic here.  In fact, if you have any money left now would be a good time to give it to me."

He put up a chart of projections for the GDP in 2020.  The total he displayed did not agree with the figures on display.  When I pointed this out, he said something about "factor weighting" and "forward going projections" but obviously he just made a mistake.  He added some figures he should have subtracted, and overestimated according to his own figures by 4.5%.

When a couple of us asked if all these multi-trillion $ stimuli were going to affect the long-term health of T-bills as the international currency-of-choice, he brushed off our concerns as "unimaginable."

I asked what effect a Trump 2nd term would have on the economy, but the seminar "ran out of time" before he could answer.

I'll be frank.  I'm worried.

The stock market is not the real economy.  Publicly-traded companies are not the ones being hardest hit by this worldwide disruption of supply chains.  30 or 40% unemployment for a few months will not lead to a V-shaped recovery.  It'll look more like 1929-1933, where it takes a decade or more (1945 and a huge national project like a World War) to restart the economy.  

The guy said the economy was in strong shape when the coronavirus hit -- low unemployment, some wage gain, favorable balance sheets.  What he did not address, unfortunately, is that America has permanently lost our manufacturing base.  Globalization has taken those jobs overseas, to countries with lower costs of production.  America is left with a "service economy" which means we can't BUILD our way out of a depression.  

We are at the mercies of our third-world partners, and if our dollar weakens we'll be right there with them on the bottom of the scrap heap.  Pretty soon another economy will emerge as better run, better designed, more stable, stronger future, and our Little Richie Rich past will be permanently behind us.

Especially when Trump gets re-elected.  Because he's ruined every organization he's ever become involved in.

In WWII we shipped millions of GIs overseas, and their wives and girlfriends took over for them in the factories.  After the war, all these GIs wanted to have babies and buy houses and cars and washing machines.

21st Century warfare does not involve infantrymen.

It is fought with robots and drones and cyberwarfare.  Most all of this will be manufactured elsewhere.

There will be no returning soldiers, no baby boom, no durable goods explosion.  Technology, old or new, most likely will not be there to pull us out of the Trump Depression.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

2020 Investment Webinar Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Investment Webinar   2020 Investment Webinar EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 pm

I posted this reply to my broker:
NoCoPilot wrote:
David,

Thank you for your part in hosting this informative webinar yesterday.  I thought it was an hour well spent.

But you know me, I tend to be pretty pessimistic when it comes to the government fixing economic problems.  For that reason I found Herb Morgan's predictions wildly optimistic.

• He discounted estimates of 30% GDP decline by Fortune & CNBC, 40% loss by Forbes & JP Morgan, and 50% by Bloomberg & Morgan Stanley (@ 39:18 in the video)
  • Instead he predicted a loss of only 3.4% in the GDP
  • But the figures he himself used (@ 41:53) total -7.5% -- and they're VERY preliminary

The Great Depression of 1929-1941 saw a decline in GDP of "only" 26.7%.  Even the smallest of the decline predictions above would be worse than that. 

And at one point in his presentation, Herb mentioned that our economy is now 85% a service economy.  That means our manufacturing base has been permanently outsourced overseas (during the Reagan-Bush-Bush years).  In 1941, when we entered WWII, United States climbed out of the Depression with manufacturing jobs for war materiel (Rosie the Riveter) and the mobilization of 16 million soldiers (11% of the population).

When these soldiers returned home, they wanted to start families, and buy houses, and cars, and washing machines.

In the 21st Century, warfare does not require infantrymen.  Wars are fought by robots and drones and cyberwarfare, all of which are manufactured overseas.  Therefore, there will be no boom from the next war.

Couple that with the disconnection of the stock market from the real economy.  Publicly-traded companies are not the ones suffering the greatest losses from the economy being closed -- it's the small businesses, the producers (food and consumables), the "service economy."  Unemployment is already above 20% (the Great Depression was only 24.9%) and it hasn't even begun to level off yet.  That kind of displacement, that kind of economic carnage does not lead to a V-shaped recovery (except for maybe the S&P 500).  For the rest of the economy, the REAL economy, it might be a decade or more before the Trump Depression is over.

Meanwhile -- and this is why I asked about it -- the multi-trillion dollar stimulus packages that continue to flow out of Congress are playing with fire.  If the rest of the world reaches the conclusion that the USD and T-bills are no longer stable, all bets are off.

Therefore, please leave my investment accounts in the safest risk profile available.  I have a bad, bad feeling about this.
Back to top Go down

2020 Investment Webinar
Page 1 of 1