HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon Empty
PostSubject: NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon   NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 3:00 pm

I know I asked why nobody was interested in doing this a long time ago (maybe even on the old DU). The idea was immediately trashed from all directions as too difficult, too expensive and not worth it. I wasn't entirely convinced, but being a minority of one, I let it go.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon   NASA funds proposal to build a telescope on the far side of the moon EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 pm

• Like all Trump-era NASA announcements, this one is nothing but fake news meant to aggrandize the president without actually doing any funding
  • Putting ANYTHING on the far side of the moon means we could not communicate with it, to make adjustments or receive images. You'd need either an orbiting relay or some kind of moon-based relay system
  • Expensive beyond belief
  • Not any appreciable benefit over the Hubble, the Chandra, the Spitzer, the Herschel, the Planck, the Kepler, the Fermi, the Swift, the INTEGRAL, the XMM, The Galex, the Corot, the SOHO, the STEREO, or even the earth-based telescopes -- all of which are servicable and maneuverable
  • Being stuck in a crater means it points one direction, all the time
  • Bombarded by meteorites, space dust, radiation, solar wind, cosmic rays, space rays of little green men... who knows what could go wrong with it?

Quote :
NASA's Innovative Advanced Concepts Program is awarding $125,000 for a Phase 1 study to understand the feasibility of such a telescope, Bandyopadhyay told Vice.
At that level of funding, they'll be able to buy a couple laptops and sandwiches for the first meeting.  Not a meaningful investment.

Here's a thought: give me the $125,000.  I already outlined the feasibility above.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1