HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? Empty
PostSubject: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? Il_570xN.1070274133_ge5uPiglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? B850720e63ac413b84466977ac6a752a

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 4:56 pm

It's a long time since I read Winnie the Pooh. The basic framework has some common elements (Hobbes is a toy tiger, Pooh, piglet and the rest are also stuffed toys), but I seem to remember the story structure being different, with the interactions between Pooh and the other toys being the crux, and Christopher Robin not much in evidence. But maybe that's just the result of distance in time affecting my memory.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 5:30 pm

You're right, the equivalencies are not direct.

But I was thinking about the real boy, who talks to his stuffed animals as if they were real, and the adventures he has with them.  I never realized before how closely they parallel, even if the dynamics are subtly different.  Watterson was undoubtedly influenced.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Huh. One of A.A. Milne 's teachers in school was H.G Wells.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 3:53 pm

After finishing "The Enchanted Places" again I did a search for Bill Watterson, to see if there was anything new on the C&H front (I have all the anthologies).  Found a ten year old book called "Looking for Calvin & Hobbes" where a devoted fan tries to tell the story without ever successfully making contact with the reclusive cartoonist.

So far it's entertaining enough.  Not sure how Watterson would feel about a book-length profile of him when he assiduously separates himself from the strip.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? EmptySat May 09, 2020 8:28 am

The other C&H item I found is "Dear Mr. Watterson," a 2013 documentary that follows the same template as the book: since we can't talk to the man himself, let's interview other cartoonists, let's visit Chagrin Falls, let's look at some original art in the Cartoon Museum.  Unlike the book, lots of examples of his art shown.  Unlike the book, Bill's parents aren't interviewed.  

Nevin Martell, the author of the book, is featured prominently.  Seems fitting somehow that a movie about a recluse should turn in on itself this way.

An odd -- and possibly appropriate -- feature of the DVD is that there are no menus. You put the DVD in and it starts playing. When it's over it starts playing again. There are no "extras" or bonus features or chapters. It just is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?   Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Piglet & Pooh = Calvin & Hobbes?
Page 1 of 1