HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bad Grammar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Bad Grammar   Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:53 am

They say language always evolves, changes can be expected in the mother tongue, what was correct yesterday may not be correct tomorrow,

Still I was surprised to receive a professionally-produced mug at Christmas which reads, "Your wise like an owl."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bad Grammar   Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:10 pm

That's not an evolution in language; that's a continuation of stupidity.
I have actually heard speakers on television swap the pronunciations of your and you're.

The latest fuck-up in the English language that is bugging me right now is the misuse of the words smaller, larger, and similar relative terms. I have noticed an increasing misuse of the terms over the past few years. Rather than, for example, using the phrase "one tenth the size," the term "ten times smaller" will be used. This is ambiguous. I read an article about the demographics of an area a few days ago, and the writer said the population was "ten times larger." What does that mean? If X=100, then ten times as big is 1,000. Is ten times larger 1,000 or 1,100?
Relatively speaking, something is larger or smaller, faster or slower, darker or lighter; attaching a multiplier or divider to the term creates ambiguity, and it is grammatically incorrect.

In casual conversation, these thing don't bother me, but when someone is being paid for using words, they should damn well do it correctly.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bad Grammar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1