HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) Empty
PostSubject: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 pm

Two books by the creator of XKCD comics, Randall Munroe.  He does, like, weird science cartoons with stick figures.
Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) Horses_2x

His books are subtitled "Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions" (in the first case) and "Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems."  That gives you some idea what they're about.

Here's a sampling of the questions in the first book:

• If my printer could literally print out money, would it have that big an effect on the world?
  • What would happen if a hair dryer with continuous power were turned on and put in an airtight 1 x 1 x 1-meter box?
  • How fast can you hit a speed bump while driving and live?

The answers are meticulously researched, very scientific, and completely hilarious.

Here's a sampling from the second book:

• How to make an emergency landing (head for farmland, or forests, or water, or what?)
  • How to tell if you're a nineties kid
  • How to be on time (by altering the flow of time)

Ditto the first book.  Nice lightweight reading that still makes you stop and marvel.  Two insights from the new book:

1. To make a piano that goes all the way down to the limits of human hearing (20 Hz.) you'd only need to add 5 keys to a grand piano*.  But the strings would need to be 24 feet long (with a standard string)
  2. The reason property boundary markers are in the dirt, instead of just compass points on a map, are to allow for the sometimes-considerable shifting of soil

* - A Bösendorfer Concert Grand 290 Imperial piano has 97 keys, 9 more than normal, with a low C of 16.352 Hz.  The piano is 9'6" long.  They use a heavier-gauge string to get around the 24-foot length requirement.
Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) 482a8b1ca1bff4815c2e9b06945a640a
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 10:50 am

NoCoPilot wrote:

The reason property boundary markers are in the dirt, instead of just compass points on a map, are to allow for the sometimes-considerable shifting of soil

Isn't that the wrong way round?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 am

Nope.  Your property moves with the soil.  Except I suppose in extreme cases.

Consider the movement of the tectonic plates, which is about 3-5 cm per year.  Property boundaries including national borders must move with them.

Now, if there was a landslide and your view property ended up at the bottom of the hill or in the ocean, that would be a different story.
Randall Munroe wrote:
The 1964 Alaska earthquake shifted much o the city of Anchorage sideways by roughly 15 feet. To deal with the resulting land-ownership questions, the state passed a law in 1966 allowing all property lines to be resurveyed to match the new location of the ground. California passed a similar law, the Cullen Earthquake Act, in 1972, which let property owners ask courts to redraw lines in a way that protected the interests of all those involved.

If you live in Alaska or California, at least, it might seem like these rules would keep your neighbor from gradually taking ownership of parts of your house. But there's a catch: courts have ruled that these laws apply only to sudden movements, not gradual ones.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 10:12 am

• The ability to ski depends on the coefficient of friction between the surface and your skies.  Teflon skies on a steel plate, or regular skies on snow, require about a 3 degree slope.  Diamond-on-diamond would require a 6 degree slope.  Plastic shopping bags on steel, 11 degrees.  Rubber on cement, 42 degrees.  That is why it's impossible to walk up a wall steeper than 42 degrees in sneakers.

• The longest continuous walking path on earth would be from Quoin Point, in South Africa, to Magadan on the east coast of Russia.  That's about 14,000 miles.  The record for hiking the Appalachian Trail (2,190 miles) is 41 days.  At that pace it would take about nine months to go from Quoin Point to Magadan.

• Using a mathematical formula to determine how far somebody can throw something, based on the weight of the object and the strength of the thrower, we get a theoretical maximum of about 73 yards for a football thrown by an NFL quarterback.  The same quarterback could throw an 11-pound blender about 18 yards.  Obama could throw a javelin about 97 feet.  Carly Rae Jepsen could throw a microwave 12 feet.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 2:54 pm

According to polling on which issues voters are most agreed upon, if you wanted to lose an election in the most spectacular fashion your stump speech would go something like this:
Quote :
A vote for me is a vote for high unemployment, war, workplace theft, and texting while driving. I believe every citizen's voice should be heard in every movie theater in the country. If elected, I vow to put an end to the Olympics once and for all.

My administration will raise taxes on small business and use the money to install a video game console in every lifeguard chair in the country. We will manufacture and sell crystal meth, and use the proceeds to give tax credits to anyone who practices medicine without a license. We will engage in money laundering, but only to support terrorism. Every decision in my administration will be made by the Magic 8-Ball. If our country is invaded, I will surrender immediately.

Vote for me if you love hunger. Vote for me if you hate your friends. And if you vote for me, I promise you this: every one of you will be twice as attractive and half as smart.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 8:00 pm

The human body can briefly withstand G-forces of greater than 1 G, but for sustained acceleration that's a comfortable maximum.

If you accelerated at 1 G for 30 seconds, then decelerated for 30 seconds, you'd travel more than 5 miles and your top speed would almost break the speed of sound.

A trip to the moon, in 1 G acceleration and deceleration, would take 4 hours. That's why future moon workers probably won't commute from earth.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 7:47 pm

I also ordered Munroe's other book, "Thing Explainer" from 2015.  It seems to have entirely disappeared from store shelves shortly after its release.  

It's a large format book, and it's a little different than the other two.  Each page is one large drawing, of complicated stuff like a hydrogen bomb, a washer/dryer, your body, a tree, a weather front, etc.  Munroe uses small words to humorously explain what each part does and how they function together to make a big complex system.

The book reminds me of Pete Frame's "Rock Family Trees" -- more of a reference book than something to be read at a sitting for entertainment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)   Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019) Empty

Back to top Go down

Books: What If? (2014) and How To (2019)
Page 1 of 1