HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ravi Shankar

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Ravi Shankar Empty
PostSubject: Ravi Shankar   Ravi Shankar EmptyFri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 am

Over the past week I've been exploring the music of Ravi Shankar.  I only had a couple of his later albums:

• Tana Mana, for Peter Baumann's Private Music label, where he plays sitar alongside a bunch of synthesizers.  Synthesizer & sitar are not that unusual together, but it's a pretty adventurous album for a 67-year old musician
  • Inside the Kremlin, which commemorates a concert featuring the Russian Folk Ensemble, Chamber Orchestra Of Moscow, the Chorus Of the Ministry Of Culture, and a bunch of Indian musicians.  Over 140 in all
  • Passages, a collaboration with Philip Glass -- which on the surface is a collaboration which should not work, but on digging a little deeper, the slow development and repeating figures of Glass actually dovetail pretty nicely with Indian classical music

Earlier this week I ran across West Meets East 1, 2 & 3, three albums done with Israeli violinist Yehudi Menuhin, where Menuhin basically plays in the Carnatic tradition like Lalgudi Jayaraman, another old favorite of mine.  There are SOME elements of gypsy or klezmer music in these, but it's pretty muted.

And East Greets East, where Shankar collaborates with Japanese musicians Hozan Yamamoto (shakuhachi) and Susumu Miyashita (koto).  Yamamoto was responsible for the great 1964 collab with clarinetist Tony Scott, Music for Zen Meditation. Indian instrument tonalities and Japanese instrument tonalities are not so different, so combining them proves surprisingly amenable.

The term "world music" is thrown around a lot, but Ravi Shankar was finding commonalities between cultures all through the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Ravi Shankar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ravi Shankar   Ravi Shankar EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 6:55 pm

I ordered from eBay and received this week the LP of the "Charly" soundtrack, never issued on CD. Now I get to make my own.

Call me crazy, but it's a hobby.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Ravi Shankar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ravi Shankar   Ravi Shankar EmptySat Jun 13, 2020 9:10 am

Dubbed the" Charly" soundtrack to my computer finally -- been putting it off -- and it's incredible music.  Producer Army Archerd put a studioful of top-notch jazz musicians under Shankar's direction -- marimba, bass, flute, harpsichord, harp, percussion, a string section -- and Shankar pulled out a set of compositions that meld jazz and Indian elements perfectly.

It's never been reissued on CD.  Too bad -- it's possibly his best album and there's nothing else like it in his catalog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ravi Shankar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ravi Shankar   Ravi Shankar Empty

Back to top Go down

Ravi Shankar
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Arts & Entertainment-
Jump to: