HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year Empty
PostSubject: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am

Huh. I wanted to post the video of Cheney celebrating 9/11 by buying gifts for all his friends and family, but apparently it's disappeared from the internet.

Too bad. People need to remember what an evil fuck he is, and I still hope someday he's prosecuted for war crimes.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 am

Change.org wrote:
In the years following September 11, 2001, the grieving process for the families affected by that day has not become any easier. It is a day of mourning from such tragedies that the United States will forever remember and be affected by. The families of the workers and First Responders should be able to take that day for mourning.

September 11th should be a mental health day, to give our nation a break to remember their loved ones that they lost. We have memorial day for fallen soldiers, but what about the fallen civilians and responders?

This is important to me because I went to school to be a EMT and Firefighter. During my time in the class we went to visit Ground Zero and the Flight 93 memorial. Although I personally did not have family in those terrorist attacks, those memorials were so emotional. Just thinking about the innocent people who lost their lives breaks my heart.

I'm of two minds about this. 9/11 was a tragedy, a tragedy that still affects lives today and informs decisions and opinions. But it was man-made.

In fact, to some extent it was preventable.

And certainly, certain people USED the occasion for their own purposes. Therefore making a national holiday out of 9/11 would unfortunately advance the agendas of some people who want 9/11 to mean more than it really does. Or should.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 4:42 pm

I agree.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm

It was not an attack on "Muslims vs. Christians" as some portray it.

It was an attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.  It was an attack on globalization and militarization.  On poor people being used as pawns for large multi-national corporations making huge profits selling war as a product.

That message -- tragically -- has gotten lost in all the right-wing pro-MIC spin.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I went to a fair amount of trouble figuring out to comment on the petition at Change.org, and there were only two other comments (including the guy who started the petition) out of over 10,000 signers.  I laid out my disagreement with the national holiday idea, and hit send.

On re-reading it, I changed my mind and deleted it.

People feel strongly about this kind of shit, and I've got nothing to gain by sounding off. If I can't post anonymously, I don't want to bring haters out of the woodwork.

Sadly, this is the world we live in now.  Civil discourse is limited by uncivil zealots.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm

Dick Cheney's favorite day of the year is tomorrow.  He'll be out buying gifts for everybody all day today.

But he no longer holds the record for mass murder of Americans on our soil (2,977) or overseas (6,858).  Trump has trumped him by 186,175 dead civilians.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 am

Another year, another "Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year."

And Trump's body count is now over 200 times higher than Cheney's.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 8:23 am

9/11 FAQs

• 2,996 people were killed that day or later because of the attacks
  • 265 people on the four planes, including the 19 hijackers
  • 2,606 in the WTC
  • 125 at the Pentagon
  • The dead were all civilians except for 344 firefighters, 71 law enforcement officers at WTC, 1 more cop on Flight 93, and 55 military personnel at the Pentagon
  • 2,606 of the dead were American citizens (87%)
  • 67 were UK citizens
  • 47 came from the Dominican Republic
  • 41 from India
  • 39 from Greece
  • 28 from South Korea
  • 24 each from Canada and Japan
  • In total 93 countries lost citizens (due to the nature of the WTC)
  • 2,751 died in the initial attacks
  • 245 died later as a result of the attacks
  • 1,140 people have been diagnosed with 9/11-related cancers/asbestosis

• Between 16,400 and 18,000 people were in the Twin Towers when they were attacked (85.5% escaped alive)
  • 1,402 people were at or above the impact zone of the North Tower.  None are known to have survived
  • 614 people were killed at or above the impact zone of the South Tower, 18 escaped down stairway A
  • Only 11 people died in the South Tower below the impact zone
  • Approximately 200 people died in the damaged elevators
  • An estimated 200 people leapt to their deaths
  • The doors to the roof were blocked, preventing people from requesting helicopter rescue (which would have been too dangerous anyway)
  • 20 people survived the collapse and were pulled from the rubble

• 1,106 human remains officially remain unidentified (more than a third of the total)
  • 22,000 body parts are still being tested for DNA, as technology improves
  • Many of the body parts are too degraded for testing

• The 19 hijackers included 15 Saudis, 2 Emiratis, 1 Eqyptian and 1 Lebanese
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am

9/11 should have led to a criminal investigation, not a war

Quote :
...when bin Laden was assassinated, the US found an annotated list of al-Qaeda members dated from 2002. There were only 170 names. He had identified 20 who were dead – only seven had achieved the bizarre goal of being “martyred” – 11 had been detained by the authorities, and 19 had simply left – some to join a more doctrinaire group, some to study, but most just to go home.

Bin Laden had been working on his terror project for several years, and with the list of devoted adherents standing only at 120, he elected to pad it out with five of his sons. Al-Qaeda members, therefore, included Omar bin Laden, who had left the organisation in 2000 and has long lived peacefully in Normandy, married to Jane Felix-Browne, a former parish councillor from Cheshire in the UK.

Whether this was the sum total of al-Qaeda or not, it was representative of a paltry enemy faced by the US on September 10, 2001.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Casualties from the War Of Terror:

• U.S. Servicemembers killed: 7,008
  • U.S. Servicemembers injured: 50,422
  • U.S. Contractors killed: est. 3,000
  • U.S. Contractors injured: est. 6,000
  • Iraqis killed: 275,000 to 306,000
  • Iraqis injured: [unknown]
  • Afghanis killed: 176,000
  • Afghanis injured: [unknown]
  • Total deaths: prox 500,000
  • Total injuries: prox 3,500,000
  • $5.4 trillion to $13.4 trillion (including interest)
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 7:42 am

Last night Mrs NoCo reminded me of her personal connection to 9/11.  Her sister, brother-in-law, niece, and the BIL's mother were all at Sea-Tac Airport that morning, waiting to board their flight to New York.  The flight was canceled moments before boarding.

They actually had tickets to fly out a day earlier, September 10th, but at the last minute the niece couldn't get that day off work, so they had to rebook.

Their first stop Tuesday morning, after arrival, would have been the WTC, where they had breakfast reservations at Windows on the World, atop the North Tower.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 pm

I've probably mentioned it before, but my base office at the time was in a building across the street from 2 World Trade. Ordinarily, I would have been arriving from the subway and heading into the office at about 8:40 or 8:45, which was, I think, about the time the first plane hit. In actuality, I was supposed to give a demo to AT&T at our New Jersey office that day, so at that time I was on the NJ Turnpike, speeding safely away from the towers. All our employees at the NY office got away safely, but two people in the building were killed when they took the elevator instead of walking down the stairs - they got trapped.

Fun fact: the somewhat iconic TV sequence of a street crowd fleeing the dust and debris as the towers collapsed includes my boss. He was in the crowd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year   Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year Empty

Back to top Go down

Dick Cheney's Favorite Day of the Year
Page 1 of 1