HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Taxation without representation

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Noticed one of the replies:

gordon_wagner • an hour ago
"Taxation is theft!"

I think we've found Andkon.

Amazon has gotten itself in a sticky position by outsourcing much of its sale to small- and medium-size suppliers who do the actual shipping of goods to the consumer. When those suppliers have a physical presence in New York, they fall under the prevailing law which demands that they pay NY sales tax. Getting to the fine point: Should Amazon be required to collect and pay the NY sales tax, or should that be the responsibility of the subordinate supplier? SCOTUS has sneaked around addressing that question (probably because it requires thinking).

I place a small $200 order with Amazon this morning, and I will pay sales tax on it. I could have avoided paying the sales tax by buying the goods from the manufacturer, but the two- to three-week shipping from Australia might not work out too well this time of year. Amazon is the only American website which carries the brand (at least as far as my several search determined).

That anecdote and the overall convenience of online shopping relieves me of any concern over paying a few bucks in sales tax. What internet shoppers should be pissed off about is the trend of a great many internet stores to charge retail prices, grossly over-charging for shipping, and terribly mistreating their distribution center employees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Tax law should be amended, internet sales -- no matter where the sender and receiver -- should be taxed a small amount (2%) to pay for high speed wireless infrastructure improvements and wiring up every school in the country. Free iPads too.

Local sales taxes should not apply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I think local sales taxes should apply. "Local" meaning the site at which the business is located.
Business is business, no matter whether the consumer is at the checkout counter in a store or on a website. I really don't see the justification for allowing some transactions to avoid sales tax. I'm not saying I like paying taxes, but I don't see the validity in the no-sales-tax-anywhere model.

I have no doubt that the avoidance of sales tax is one of the reasons some people shop on line. For me, it's just the incredible simplicity and convenience: no parking problems, no limping around stores (which no longer have ample assistance staffing), and no having to deal with miniscule selections from living in a semi-rural area.

How many sales websites do you think would go out of business if sales tax had to be collected in all states? How would it affect your online shopping if you had to pay sales taxes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:40 pm

State sales taxes vary widely due to state income taxes or lack thereof. Here in Washington we pay nearly 10% SST but 0% SIT. Shipping across state lines -- indeed across national boundaries -- raises all sorts of jurisdictional and enforcement issues, and thus is probably best avoided.

The only alternative that makes sense is a flat national tax. Yup, I went there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:42 pm

_Howard wrote:
"Local" meaning the site at which the business is located.
Amazon pays local state taxes in the 16 states where it has distribution warehouses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Only for sales made within those states.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Right. I meant to add that.

Cross border sales are still tax-free, for obvious reasons. There is no Good alternative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:09 pm

This really is a more complex issue that it first appears.

If you have a business which is using city, county, special district, and state services, shouldn't the government entities in which the business is located benefit from sales taxes from that business' activities?

Then again, consumers which do business with out-of-state companies create a revenue deficit in the consumers' city, county, special district, and state coffers when those sales taxes are not collected.

It would seem that some kind of sharing of sales tax revenues may be needed (tricky shit here, I think). Once again, technology has outpaced the ability of the society and its institutions to keep up adequately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:01 pm

_Howard wrote:
This really is a more complex issue than it first appears.
Not in my black-white on-off binary good-bad world.
_Howard wrote:
If you have a business which is using city, county, special district, and state services, shouldn't the government entities in which the business is located benefit from sales taxes from that business' activities?
B&O taxes. Property taxes.
_Howard wrote:
Then again, consumers which do business with out-of-state companies create a revenue deficit in the consumers' city, county, special district, and state coffers when those sales taxes are not collected.
There is no such thing as a "deficit" if the monies were never there before. Why should the government be in the business of choosing winners and losers in the marketplace? Smile
_Howard wrote:
Once again, technology has outpaced the ability of the society and its institutions to keep up adequately.
Yep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
B&O taxes.
Why single out Bang & Olufsen? What about people who have other high-end equipment? No tax on them? Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight   

Back to top Go down

Where are the Constitutionalists on THIS fight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1