HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?  Empty
PostSubject: Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?    Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?  EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/02/04/130204fa_fact_specter?mbid=nl_Weekly%20(39)
I'd been meaning to post this for a day or two. Dr. Oz is a hugely frustrating phenomenon that enables my diabetes ridden mother to question the wisdom of my weightlifting while breaking down the benefits of Reiki to me. Spoiler alert: there are none.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?    Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?  EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Is Oz a real doctor? I know "Dr. Phil" is not a doctor of any sort, and I suspect Sanjay Gupta isn't either.

And Suze Orman isn't a financial expert either.

On a related subject... last night I was flipping channels, and Rachel Maddow was interviewing a senator for his insights on immigration reform. Sean Hannity was also doing an interview on immigration.... with Miss Arizona!

Edit: I guess he's a real doctor, but his veracity has been questioned:
Quote :
Oz has been criticized for repeatedly promoting incorrect advice.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?    Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?  EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Oz is a part-time doctor and full-time huckster.

Jenni, Shouldn't your thread title be "...the most trusted doctor on daytime TV..."?
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?    Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?  EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Well, the problem is not only is he a real doctor he's still a practicing surgeon with some serious credentials. Harvard, Columbia, New York Pres. And I assure you guys his crap is reaching more than just the day time audience.
Now, I will say what I'm hoping is that as his crap reaches a wider audience he will be shown to be the relatively nutty character he is and either retreat back to surgery where he belongs or go so full blown nutters that they never let him near patients anymore. Either way is fine with me. But so far, people are eating this shit up and spreading it around gyms like plague.

I worry that when he starts talking gay curing and Reiki right next to real medicine people can't tell the damn difference. I was interested to see that the article had similar concerns.

And yes, Gupta's a real neurosurgeon. He's got credentials at a major Atlanta hospital. I have a cousin who's a patient there. He's like chief of the department or something. In fact, Gupta's been in the field as a journalist and had to go play neurosurgeon for the Navy and he did it. I may be wrong but I've never known Gupta to out and out promote quackery. But I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?    Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?
Page 1 of 1