HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It Is The Blues, Afterall

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

It Is The Blues, Afterall Empty
PostSubject: It Is The Blues, Afterall   It Is The Blues, Afterall EmptyFri Feb 22, 2019 8:54 pm

I discovered a new blues singer today, new to me anyway, Robin Rogers.  She has two albums listed on Discogs.com -- both expensive to buy at every outlet I found them, but relatively cheap to download from Apple -- and a third (earlier) album which Discogs doesn't list, but I found a free download of it.  That first album sounds a lot like Maria Muldaur, with some nice wobbly sexy barroom blues.  The 2nd and 3rd albums are more professional and polished, and stunningly good.  She was a major talent: as a singer, as a songwriter, as a guitarist, and as a harmonica-player.

I say "was" because she's no longer with us.

Her last album, from 2010, was a celebration of sorts because she'd gotten married and kicked a long-time alcohol habit.  Her earlier life apparently included some bouts with homelessness and addiction, and a lot of traveling around.  Then she met the man who would become her partner, in music and life, cleaned up her act, and started getting noticed nationally.  Her star was ascendant.

One of the songs on the last album reflects this optimism.  It's called "The Plan":

Well I've come too far to look back now
Just a little bit of fate turned it all around
I couldn't feel much better even if I tried
You know that everything is going as planned

I got your love, that's all I need
Nobody moves me, baby, that way you move me

I got good friends, they warm my heart
I know if I need 'em, it's just one call

I got the very best job, I get to sing all night
Now that's a real blessing, no 9-to-5

I've got a little red house, I feel right at home
I walk in the door where I belong

I tell you everything is going as planned.

Pretty upbeat for a "blues song," right? Well here's the thing.  Between the time the album was recorded, and the time it was actually released (Sept 2010), Robin was diagnosed with stage 4 inoperable liver cancer.  She died barely three months after its release, aged just 55, while doing (or attempting to do) a publicity tour.

It's the blues afterall.

One of the songs on her 2006 album is called "Color Blind Angel" and it's about Viola Liuzzo.  Now HERS was a true blues story.
Back to top Go down

It Is The Blues, Afterall
Page 1 of 1