HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guilty Pleasures

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Guilty Pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 am

One of the joys of retirement for me has been the ability to do pretty much whatever I want with my time.  After YEARS of feeling like my life was drip drip dripping away, never to return, while I toiled away at some project for work that I couldn't give 1/4 shit about, I am FINALLY the master of my own schedule.

So what am I doing with my time?  

I have lots of projects I probably SHOULD be doing.  I have lots of things I wish I could get accomplished.  I have lots of books to read.

I have music in my head that I wish I could record.

But no.  I mostly make CD-Rs that nobody but me will ever hear, of music that nobody but me cares about.  When I die the landfill will have to be renamed in my honor.  I can't help it.  Whenever anything else seems like it should be done, this is what I gravitate to doing.  I enjoy it (so fuck y'all.)

Some friends of mine are always pointing out new music to me that I "should" be listening to.  I try, but can't get excited about any of it.

I enjoy mostly "guilty pleasure" music, stuff like Bill Cosby's jazz outings.  This morning I listened to a set I'd made of soundtrack music by Quincy Jones - "Sanford & Son" theme song, "A Sassy Samba" from the Austin Powers movie, many others.  Pure sound heaven, lots of bassoons and large percussion and weird trombone lines.  Professional musicians going crazy in the studio.  Right now I'm listening to a set of David Axelrod soundtracks, similar.  Lots of very unique instrumental combinations, and elaborate percussion.  Almost exotica, like Arthur Lyman or somebody.

Is it what I should be doing with my time?  Probably not.

Do I care?

No I do not.
Back to top Go down

Guilty Pleasures
Page 1 of 1