HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best Books of 2018

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 7:07 am

Last Saturday Bill Gates published his list of the five best books of 2018, and I hope to read four of them.  Gates is usually a pretty good judge of books.

Yesterday I found two of them, "Bad Blood" and "21 Lessons for the 21st Century."  I'm starting the latter today, as a good airplane read.
Yuval Noah Harari wrote:
Human stupidity is one of the most important forces in history, yet we often tend to discount it. Politicians, generals and scholars treat the world as a great chess game, where every move follows careful rational calculation. This is correct up to a point. Hideki Tojo, Saddam Hussein, and Kim Jong-Il had rational reasons for every move they played. The problem is that the world is far more complicated than a chessboard, and human rationality is not up to the task of really understanding it. For that reason even rational leaders frequently end up doing very stupid things.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Yuval Noah Harari wrote:
During the 2016 U.S. presidential race, Donald Trump warned voters that Mexicans would take their jobs, and that they should therefore build a wall on the Mexican border. He never warned voters that algorithms would take their jobs, nor did he suggest building a firewall on the border with California.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Yuval Noah Harari wrote:
For thousands of years people believed that authority came from divine laws rather than from the human heart, and that we should therefore sanctify the word of God rather than human liberty. Only in the last few centuries did the source of authority shift from celestial deities to flesh-and-blood humans.

Soon authority might shift again -- from humans to [AI]. [T]he coming technological revolution might establish the authority of Big Data algorithms while undermining the very idea of individual freedom. When the biotech revolution merges with the infotech revolution, it will produce Big Data algorithms that can monitor and understand my feelings much better that I can, and then authority will probably shift from humans to computers. My illusion of free will is likely to disintegrate as I daily encounter institutions, corporations, and government agencies that understand d and manipulate what was until now my inaccessible inner realm.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptySat Jan 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Other Yuval Noah Harai startling revelations:

1. Although global warming will be bad news for the majority of people on Earth, it might actually benefit two countries: Canada and Russia.  They could become the "breadbaskets of the world."  Therefore beware of climate science coming out of these two players.

2. Religions and religious leaders of the past derived their power from solving, or appearing to solve, technical problems. Crop calendars.  Weather control.  Healing the sick.  Now that science has taken over these and other technical challenges -- challenges of observation, interpretation and pattern recognition, mostly -- religions have become a lot less central to peoples' lives.  Religions are still useful as organizing principles, as a unifying force across countries, ethnicities, generations and political ideologies.

3. Nations arose when tribes were no longer big enough to solve shared problems.  In a similar way, we are now facing global problems like climate change, technological Armegeddon, global hunger and food production/distribution/waste, clean air/water/food/energy that no single nation can solve.  Therefore some kind of global human community-building seems to be called for.  Global government is unlikely.  Global religion is even more unlikely.  Perhaps it will be a technological community like Facebook?

4. Immigration really only causes problems when the immigrants come from a different culture, and bring their culture with them.  People don't mind other cultures, but they don't want them living next door to them*.  So, should immigrants be required to shed all trappings of the culture they're coming from?  Should they be required to adopt all of the cultural norms of the adoptive country, including religious practices, food taboos, political views?  Or is globalism and transnationalism the requirement that all host countries accept all incomers, no matter how "foreign"?

*- It occurs to me that because of nationalism, people feel a sense of proprietorship about their homeland even though it is theirs only through the accident of their birth.  Nationalists feel protective of their culture, and don't feel obliged to share it with outsiders or compromise it by being accepting of foreign practices or especially to adopt any characteristics of incoming foreigners to make it more accommodating to them.  Yet it is PRECISELY the celebration of diversity, the welcoming of differences that makes people kinder, gentler, more open and loving.  If, for instance, Sweden welcomes Syrian refugees, the Swedes would have to accept daily prayers in public places and various food taboos and hijabs in public.  But it is also incumbent on the migrating Syrians to not be offended by uncovered Swedish women, by pork chops in supermarkets, or by Swedes not being religious.  I could no more move to England and insist on driving on the right side of the road, because it's what I'm used to, than my wife could move to Baghdad and refuse to cover her hair.  Mutual respect for our differences is key.  Throwing someone in jail (or worse) for blaspheming Allah is exactly the wrong attitude in a globalist society.  So is forcing Muslim women to discard their hajibs. But in the interests of "getting along," they should be willing to do it occasionally voluntarily when called for.  Higher principles than absolutism.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 am

And if a significant population of immigrants moves to a democratic nation, and gains citizenship and voting rights, do they not have a right to vote for policies that favor them?

This is as true of Syrians in Sweden as it is of Mexicans in the United States.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Yuval Noah Harari wrote:
...the idea that Judaism contributed monotheism to the world is hardly something to be proud of.  From an ethical perspective, monotheism was arguably one of the worst ideas in human history.

Monotheism did little to improve the moral standards of humans.  What monotheism undoubtedly did was to make many people far more intolerant than before, therefore contributing to the spread of religious persecutions and holy wars.  Polytheists found it perfectly acceptable that different people worshipped different gods and performed diverse rites and rituals.  They rarely if ever fought, persecuted, or killed people just because of their religious beliefs. Monotheists, in contrast, believed that their god was the only god, and that he demanded universal obedience. Consequently, as Christianity and Islam spread around the world, so did the incidence of crusades, jihads, inquisitions, and religious discrimination.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Yuval Noah Harari wrote:
In the ceremony of Mass, the priest takes a piece of bread and a glass of wine and proclaims that the bread is Christ's flesh, the wine is Christ's blood, and by eating and drinking them the faithful attain communion with Christ. What could be more real than actually tasting Christ in your mouth? Traditionally, the priest made these bold proclamations in Latin, the ancient language of religion, law and the secrets of life. In front of the amazed eyes of the assembled peasants the priest held high a piece of bread and exclaimed "Hoc est corpus!" -- "This is the body!" -- and the bread supposedly became the flesh of Christ. In the minds of the illiterate peasants, who did not speak Latin, Hoc est corpus!" got garbled into "Hocus-pocus!" This was born the powerful spell that can transform a frog into a prince and a pumpkin into a carriage.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 pm

As explained to me in high school, the "transubstantiation of the mass" is one of the key differences between Catholics and Protestants. If you are Protestant, you can believe this is a symbolic thing. If you are Catholic, you are supposed to believe the magic is real, and the bread and wine really do change.

Christian magic is really pathetic, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best Books of 2018 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Books of 2018   Best Books of 2018 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Books of 2018
Page 1 of 1