HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3D Lenticular Posters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

3D Lenticular Posters Empty
PostSubject: 3D Lenticular Posters   3D Lenticular Posters EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Many years ago -- early/mid-'70s -- I saw a poster for sale in a shop which caught my eye.  It was just a simple shot of a birch forest, kinda like this one:
3D Lenticular Posters 1928829_image2_1

What caught my eye about it was that it was printed behind a lenticular screen, so that as you moved your head back & forth in front of it, you got a real sense of depth to the photo.  The trees in front occluded the trees in the back.  It was a startling illusion.  It looked to be many (or at least several) feet deep.

At the time I didn't buy it because it was expensive (about $34 if I remember) and I couldn't afford it.

I've never seen it a second time.  I've been looking for it, or something like it, ever since.

Lenticular postcards and bookmarks are not uncommon.  I've bought a few of them over the years, from animals to outer space scenes to landscapes.  MOST of the ones you see however are animated -- rotate the card and the horse gallops, or the dolphin jumps out of the water.  These are fine... but I have never gotten over the almost eerie sense of three dimensionality of that first poster.  Lenticular prints which are used to print a 3D scene are few and far between.  Most of the ones used for 3D (as opposed to animations) are cartoons or paintings (I have a Van Gogh I bought in Holland) because they're easier to stage.

A couple weeks ago I ran across this one, from a Las Vegas outfit called 3dstereo.com:
3D Lenticular Posters Lent_1210_Forest_Autumn_350

It was described as a "vintage 3D poster from the 1970s" so it might have been from the same time (or maker?) as my birch forest.  It's pretty big (12" x 16") and the 3D effect is pronounced, though of limited depth and seems to be in 4 or 5 distinct layers (as many of them are -- probably staged that way in a photographer's studio).

I bought some postcards from this outfit as well, one of Crater Lake but the island and far crater wall are so distant that you get almost no sense of depth to it.  There's obviously a real art to creating the 3D illusion.

I just ordered a couple more prints from them. We'll see how good they are when they arrive (impossible to tell in a 2D picture of it, of course):
3D Lenticular Posters Lent_8008_covrd_bridge_325
3D Lenticular Posters Lent-1601-trees-fall-325
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

3D Lenticular Posters Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3D Lenticular Posters   3D Lenticular Posters EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 7:31 pm

My shipment arrived tonight. That bottom one is quite convincing! Not a great scene per se, but the 3D effect is very pronounced.

To put a little ginger on the crumbcake, there are some blowing leaves (not really visible above) which are in the near foreground.
Back to top Go down

3D Lenticular Posters
Page 1 of 1