HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 Empty
PostSubject: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:12 pm

This guy spells out the stuff that so many Americans don't seem to have understood even yet.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 am

Why is Conor Friedersdorf living in 2006?

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 am

richard09 wrote:
This guy spells out the stuff that so many Americans don't seem to have understood even yet.
Right you are, Richard. And a great many of them will never understand it.
I love the analogy he made with Breaking bad. Dead on.

NoCoPilot wrote:
Why is Conor Friedersdorf living in 2006?
Uh...because his house would be worth an additional $400,000?
What do you mean?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am

_Howard wrote:
What do you mean?
I mean most of what he complains about went out with Dick Cheney (who truly was an evil fuck.)
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
_Howard wrote:
What do you mean?
I mean most of what he complains about went out with Dick Cheney (who truly was an evil fuck.)
If you really believe that, it's time you woke up.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am

richard09 wrote:
If you really believe that, it's time you woke up.
Let me turn this around on you.  Give me a link that proves anything in this article is still happening  -- aside from the drones and the surveillance, which I'll give you up front.  And the few remaining at Gitmo, who are mostly so radicalized they can't be returned to the wild.
Wikipedia wrote:
As of August 2013, 164 detainees remain at Guantanamo.[9] As of December 2008, around 50-60 detainees have been cleared for release, but have not been released due to "difficulties" in "repatriating" them.[10] The unrepatriated include ethnic Uyghurs, who were training to fight for independence from the Chinese government in Xinjiang province. Chinese authorities want to take action against them
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:35 am

The article was not a snapshot of today, but a recounting of events that led us to where we are today. Note that the author uses the past tense quite often.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:54 am

Yea-huh. Okay, my bad, I thought the author was trying to make a point.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 pm

I think you made my point quite thoroughly.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:41 pm

richard09 wrote:
I think you made my point quite thoroughly.
Then you uh, need to wake up?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 pm

What I took from the article was the concept that, when confronted with disastrous situations, people are willing to dispense with the moral values they have held in pursuit of a resolution of the problem. That's what Walter White did, and that's what a great many of the American people did as well.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

No, that's what Dick Cheney did.  Not everybody agreed with him.  A lot of his excesses have been pulled back in the intervening five years, but some were structural and some were deemed useful in counterterrorism.  Some, like TSA secuity measures, persist despite all logic.

If I were Jeh Johnson, coming into the Homeland Security job, one of the FIRST things I'd do is go through all of these jackass regulations and kick out all the ones that were Cheney's imperial over-reaching, keep the few that actually related to security, and remake Homeland Security into a division that uses brains instead of brawn to defeat terrorists.
Quote :
Mr. Johnson — whose first name is pronounced “Jay” — has little experience with some of the issues that Ms. Napolitano faced, like border security and immigration. But he was a legal adviser to Mr. Obama during his first presidential campaign and has similar views to the president’s about the future of the United States’ counterterrorism operations. He was at the center of Mr. Obama’s first-term efforts to re-evaluate the counterterrorism policies of President George W. Bush. Source
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:10 pm

I think you've got this backwards, NoCo. Dick Cheney is one of the few that did NOT dispense with his high moral standards, because he had none to begin with. But a great many of the American people agreed with the Bush/Cheney policies, and many still do. They are still scared shitless of the Muslim in the closet.

Yes, some of the excesses have been done away with (and some just hidden better). The damn Homeland Security department should just be closed. One-hundred percent of it. TSA can be moved to Transportation, where it belongs. The few other valuable functions of HS can be moved to the appropriate agencies; they aren't doing anything new, they're just doing more of it (and badly).
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:09 am

Even the stuff that the Obama administration has got sort of right it has done half-assed. And some stuff is worse. Journalism in the US was already pitiful, before the war on whistle-blowers.

Clemency for Torturers, but Not for Edward Snowden

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 am

richard09 wrote:
Clemency for Torturers, but Not for Edward Snowden
Which demonstrates once again that the consequences for breaking the law are dependent on who benefits from the action.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11   Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1