HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What's your favorite cuisine?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

What's your favorite cuisine? Empty
PostSubject: What's your favorite cuisine?   What's your favorite cuisine? EmptySat Aug 18, 2018 6:19 pm

One of the nice things about living in NYC is that if you fancy some food from another country, there's pretty much certain to be a restaurant serving that food somewhere in the city. And if you're in the right neighborhood, there's all sorts of stuff within a few minutes walk. I spend a lot of time in Park Slope, Brooklyn, one way and another, even though I don't actually live in that neighborhood. And walking along 7th Avenue, in the space of about a mile you pass Tex-Mex, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Greek, New Zealand, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and even American. (And for most of these, more than one example, and there may be a country or two I've overlooked.) So this evening it occurred to me to wonder which cuisine I like the best.

I really enjoyed the food when I was in France, but I've never been that impressed with French restaurants in America. I'm not prepared to pay the prices demanded by the top-rated ones, so I guess that's it for that.

Italian food is OK, pretty reliable, but I've never really been wowed by any of it.

I like spicy food, so I eat a lot of Indian. But I don't think I can give a thumbs up for the cuisine overall - the spice tends to overpower the flavors of the ingredients.

I love tempura and sushi, but the rest of Japanese cuisine doesn't impress me.

Chinese food strikes me like Italian - pretty reliable, a number of dishes that I like, but not one that has ever knocked my socks off.

I love burgers and steaks and fries and onion rings, but American doesn't do it for me beyond that. Oh, mustn't forget BBQ, but still.

I love Mexican food. Somehow it all seems like comfort food to me (and fattening).

Greek food I find very acceptable. It's not spicy, but moussaka is terrific comfort food, kabobs are flavorful, even Greek salad is better than most others.

I don't know. If I had to pull out just one, I might segregate BBQ from the rest of American, and go with that. Or maybe Mexican. Or Greek.

First world problems.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

What's your favorite cuisine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cuisine?   What's your favorite cuisine? EmptySat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I tend to believe Mexican restaurants in America don't serve authentic Mexican food.  Italian restaurants don't serve authentic Italian food.  Chinese restaurants don't serve authentic Chinese food.

Maybe even American restaurants don't serve authentic American food.

The BEST meals I've had in restaurants were not "ethnic" foods per se, but some cook's unique twist on ethnic food.  Some friends of a friend of mine opened a Vietnamese restaurant with a French twist, which kinda makes sense, you know?  I only ate there once, but it was memorable.

There's a "Mexican" restaurant down by the ferry dock which is "nuevo cuisine" or something, nothing you'd identify as typical Mexican food but using a lot of the same ingredients.  It's very good.

There's a new restaurant up on the highway which calls itself "authentic Hunan cuisine."  They serve dishes like fish head soup, duck's blood pudding, whole toad.  I haven't eaten there, and don't plan to.  To me that sounds like peasant's food, what you eat when quality ingredients can't be had.

There's a Somali restaurant down the road a ways.  I hated it.  Mushy brown goat's meat with mushy brown gravy over mushy brown lentils.  Looked like a plate of baby diarrhea.  And they didn't give you silverware, you were expected to eat it with your fingers.  Authentic?  Possibly, who cares.

My favorite meal eaten out recently was a salad at a waterfront restaurant, pretty high end.  Fresh mango slices.  Slivered pickled ginger.   Fresh bay shrimp.  Crisp ice-cold romaine lettuce.  Bleu cheese crumbles.  Fresh-made warm bacon crumbles.  That was all, just six ingredients.  A delightful symphony of tastes and textures.
Back to top Go down

What's your favorite cuisine?
Page 1 of 1