HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hannah Gadsby: Nanette

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Hannah Gadsby: Nanette   Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Netflix comedy special, equal parts comedy and anger.  Hannah is a "non-gender conforming" lesbian, and her anger at being marginalized is vivid.

It's a moving and ultimately redemptive journey... but harrowing, if you're a straight white man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Hannah Gadsby: Nanette   Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Watching it a second time.  I think this is only the second time I've watched a standup routine twice.

Second time through I can see how carefully written it is.  How she sets up situations to pay off much later in the show.  How she uses the narrative to build up tension, release the tension, build it up again, release it again, until you begin to think this will be her style.

Then wham.  She hits you with the payoff, the real life facts, the truth about being a non-gender-conforming lesbian.  Wham.

It hits you like a sledge.

As it is intended.

Very clever it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Hannah Gadsby: Nanette   Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:53 pm

The show has won Best Comedy at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Best Comedy Performer at the Helpmann Awards, the Barry Award for Best Show at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and the award for Best Comedy at the Adelaide Fringe Festival.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hannah Gadsby: Nanette   

Back to top Go down

Hannah Gadsby: Nanette
Page 1 of 1