HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Slippery question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Slippery question   Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Still cleaning out the garage. I ran across a case and a half of Valvoline Racing Oil that I used to put in my high-perf cars and Harleys. The stuff is about eight or nine bucks a quart now, and I am trying to find out if it is street legal (different additives to protect the cats, maybe).

Anyone have any ideas on this? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on google.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Slippery question   Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Valvoline FAQs wrote:
What are the benefits of using racing oil versus regular passenger car oil?

The Valvoline VR1 Racing and other racing oils not intended for passenger vehicles contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.

What is motor oil with zinc?

The anti-wear additive simply referred to as zinc by most car enthusiasts is actually short for Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates or ZDDP. Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, ZDDP also contains phosphorus, which helps to perform the anti-wear function in the motor oil.

Why are zinc/phosphorus levels in motor oil lower in today’s motor oils?

With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for motor oil with zinc. The current API standard is SN, which replaced the previous SM classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle's emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current motor oil. Valvoline uses a new type of zinc/phosphorus that maintains the prior level of wear protection of the engine while reducing the impact on the emission system.

What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?

The controversy exists as a result of many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts belief that lower levels of zinc in API SN and SM motor oils can cause excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat-tappet engines. They hold this belief despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible.

What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?

Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil: Contains 75% higher zinc than SN or SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and traditional applications. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40 and straight 60.
   Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter.

Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or Not Street Legal racing oil?

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil, which contains .14 percent zinc and .13 percent phosphorus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slippery question   Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:00 pm

You have just spent a lot of time telling me about a different oil. The racing oil I have is not VR1 - it precedes VR1. I do appreciate your effort, however.

There's only one guy I know who could answer this question off the top of his head, but I haven't contacted him.  I'm not going to bother him with this at this time, as his wife's cancer is much more important to him, I'm sure.

This old oil was amazing back in the day. I can remember having to adjust the carbs on cars that I put it in for the first time, as the idle speed would jump noticeably after just a few seconds. It's some slick stuff.

The amount of oil I have is worth at least $150, and I will give it to someone, but I want to be sure he won't fuck up his engine. Many things have changed since this stuff was made, but I really loved it, especially in the Harleys. <vroom, vroom>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slippery question   

Back to top Go down

Slippery question
Page 1 of 1