HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

International Commerce in the Days of the Internet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 pm

So I'm making a CD at the request of a friend of mine, the Montgomery Brothers. This was a trio of Wes, Monk & Buddy before Wes became famous as a solo artist. Nice stuff! I used to have a couple Montgomery Brothers LPs myself, which I now realized I miss. I found three Montgomery Brothers albums available online for download, "The Montgomery Brothers" (1960), "Groove Yard" (1961) and "The Montgomery Brothers in Canada" (1961). Each of these was about 35-39 minutes, so two of them fit on a CD. To fill out the 2nd CD I found The Mastersounds "The King & I" (1957). The Mastersounds were another band I used to collect, consisting of Buddy Montgomery (vibes) & Monk Montgomery (bass) plus a pianist & drummer. I made a copy of the 2-CD set for myself and started enjoying the piss out of it.

In particular the Mastersounds album. I'd forgotten how cool it was!

Decided to see what else is available. From iTunes only one other album, "Introducing The Mastersounds" (1957). A couple stray tracks on YouTube but no complete albums. Now the Mastersounds made ten albums in their short 3-year lifespan, and I used to have I think 4 of them. Their instrumentation was the same as the MJQ, but they tackled unusual material like Rodgers & Hammerstein's "The King & I" and "Flower Drum Song" (gorgeous tunes if you're familiar with 'em). But alas, it looks like only the two previously-mentioned albums have ever been re-released on CD.

I was digging, and digging, and digging online to try to find any online vinyl dubs or other sources. Somehow (still not sure how) I ended up on a New Zealand iTunes site that, mirabile dictu, listed three more Mastersounds albums, "Plays Horace Silver" (1960), "Ballads & Blues" (1959) and "Flower Drum Song" (1958).

I tried to buy them.

iTunes said these items are not available in my region and kicked me back to the US version of iTunes.

I went in again, and created a new Apple ID that lists New Zealand as my home country. Set up my VISA card. It errored out, saying my card was not valid in New Zealand(?) and kicked me out again.

I'm trying to figure out how to get back in -- maybe it'll take Paypal or some other form of payment -- but so far I haven't been able to find the path in.

What's weird is, why New Zealand? The Mastersounds were a US jazz group (specifically Seattle Washington!) on a US label (World Pacific). Makes no sense that it'd be available in New Zealand only. I've bought LOTS of British and German pressings of stuff that's never been issued in the US. But New Zealand????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Heh.

Turns out MOST of the albums are available for purchase as hard CDs if you look long enough. They've been compiled and re-ordered, but they're available - so I ordered them.

The only one I haven't found is "Flower Drum Song." Poking around some more, I wasn't able to make the New Zealand website give it to me, but it said the album was also available from the Maltese website. Changed my country to Malta, found the album (in Euros!), and tried to buy it. Same error -- "not valid for purchase in the U.S." WTF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Just checking other countries at random, the "Flower Drum Song" album shows up in Germany and the United Kingdom as well, but none of my six(!) Apple IDs allow me to purchase there.

Bah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 pm

E-Commerce software is unforgiving.

Eight or nine years ago, I ordered an item - an accessory for an espresso machine - from a company in Australia. Got the same "can't sell to you Yanks" error from the order page. So I went to the site's "contact me" page and got their email address. Sent them an email describing my problem. "No sweat, mate. We can take your order with email." I sent them the order, paid them with PayPal, and all went well.

Maybe you can give this a try now that you are working with hardware.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Grrr. It's available as a download on the UK Amazon website as well, but won't accept my payment. "Must be drawn on a bank in the U.K. region"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Have you tried communicating through a VPN?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:55 pm

It seems to be tied to my credit card(s).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:15 pm

The credit card issues is a decision made by the vendor.
I have used American credit cards in numerous countries on the internet. Hell, I have a standing upgrade payment in Romania.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:52 pm

I have a guy in Italy I trade music with regularly. I've asked him if he'd be willing to become an international scofflaw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:29 pm

One of my searches for The Mastersounds doing “Flower Drum Song” ended me up at a website called The Flower Drum Song Project, which listed all albums the author had found where groups played music from that Broadway play/film. In addition to the official soundtrack — which I already have — and The Mastersounds album — which I’m trying to get — he listed two more jazz treatments I’d never heard of or seen before. One by the Cy Coleman Trio (who?) and one by the Morris Nanton Jazz Trio (double who?)

Both were tracked down with minor effort, and both are remarkably good. And the overlap in tracks between the three jazz treatments is minimal.

Loves me some internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:47 pm

According to the liner notes on The Mastersounds’ “The King and I” they were inspired to tackle the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical by Shelly Manne’s jazz version of “My Fair Lady” (1956).

Another album I’d never heard of.

Bing bang bongo, now in my collection too.

While it’s been downloading I’ve been playing Jacques Loussier, a French pianist who puts classical themes to jazz. Seemed to fit in with the zeitgeist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: International Commerce in the Days of the Internet   

Back to top Go down

International Commerce in the Days of the Internet
Page 1 of 1