HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mincemeat Muffins

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I bought a jar of mincemeat a couple weeks ago because I saw it in the store.  I had asked so many stores last month if they carried mincemeat that now I see it everywhere I go.

Been trying to figure out what to do with it.

Had a dream last night that involved me making bran muffins with a spoonful of mincemeat inside each one.  So I did this this morning.  They're delicious!

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Do vegans eat mince meat?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Why not, there's no meat in it. And who's vegan anyway?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Please don't tell me you thought that was a serious question.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Little mincemeat tarts are traditional fare at Christmas in England. I didn't think Americans knew mincemeat existed.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Of course we do.
In fact, I have a problem with mince in the yard every summer. Have to set out traps.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Growing up I always looked forward to my Great Aunt Buncie’s mincemeat pie at Thanksgiving.  When she died my mother took over, and my mother made a really excellent piecrust let me tell you.

After I moved out at 18, for a couple years, my then-wife tied to feed my mincemeat need but her crusts were second rate at best. I even tried to make a few pies myself, following my mother’s recipe. I never satisfied myself.

Fast forward thirty years. My present wife doesn’t do pies. At Thanksgiving I visited a dozen restaurants (known for their pies) and none had any. I asked a dozen grocery stores for mincemeat and none had any (then).  I sighed and gave up.

My brother-in-law, bless his heart — who learned excellent crusts from his mother — made me about eight mincemeat tarts for Christmas, which were quite good. He said he tried one and didn’t care for it. My wife tried one and didn’t care for it.

She tried one of my muffins this morning and didn’t care for it.

I’m all alone in this.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Food can be a cruel mistress.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 5:17 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Why not, there's no meat in it.  And who's vegan anyway?

Mincemeat contains suet.
Quote :
su·et
ˈso͞oət/
noun: suet
   the hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods including puddings, pastry, and mincemeat.

I had no idea there was actually meat in mincemeat.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 pm

_Howard wrote:
Mincemeat contains suet.
Rarely.
[quote=“Wikipedia”]Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison. Originally, mincemeat always contained meat.[1] Many modern recipes contain beef suet, though vegetable shortening is sometimes used in its place. [/quote]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mincemeat Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mincemeat Muffins   Mincemeat Muffins Empty

Back to top Go down

Mincemeat Muffins
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Just For Fun-
Jump to: