HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Movie: Boyhood

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Movie: Boyhood   Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I had heard about this movie for years (well, since 2014) but never seen it. The gimmick is it was filmed over an eleven year span so the actors grow up on-screen.

It has Ethan Hawke in it, who I generally like. It has Patricia Arquette in it, who I generally like.

The concept is brilliant, but the execution is I dunno kinda uninspired. I guess as a "slice of life" movie it follows the general arc of most people's lives -- they grow up, shit happens, they get older -- but aside from the gimmick of the timeframe it's kind of a nothing movie. There aren't any standout scenes, there aren't any outstanding performances, nothing happens to this family that hasn't happened to ten million other families.

Okay. We done the movie. Now what.

I guess some day I need to try to see Seven Up, 14 Up, 21 Up, 28 Up, 35 Up, 42 Up, 49 Up, 56 Up and when it comes out next year 63 Up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Boyhood   Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 am

Ethan Hawke was in a trilogy of movies where the same couple was followed over 18 years, "Before Sunrise" (1995), "Before Sunset" (2004) and "Before Midnight" (2013), also by Richard Linklater.  I guess Linklater & Hawke like time travel movies.

Unlike "Boyhood" the "Before" movies have a little dramatic tension, some narrative movement, and some truly lovely moments of grace.  They're more MOVIES.  "Boyhood" is almost a documentary (though entirely fictional).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Movie: Boyhood
Page 1 of 1