HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:37 am

Two inches of rain in a brief period caused flooding and mud slides from the burn area above Montecito.

Death toll currently at fifteen, with dozens more missing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Evacuation orders have been issued for Montecito and other areas of Santa Barbara County. Tonight and tomorrow are going to be very wet. They predict from five to ten inches of rain in the burned area above Montecito.

Here at home, we are anticipating four to eight inches of rain by Wednesday night. We have had three inches of rain so far this month - the same amount as we had during the preceding eight months. It's okay with me if we don't try to make up the deficit all at once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Pictures are always fun, right?
Here's a picture of the current local weather. Not too bad. Yet.

Of course, that's just a clip of the storm picture. It's important to know that the weather is coming from the direction of the lower left of the picture, and that the stream feeding the storm is about one thousand miles long and two hundred miles wide.

And I have a leaky window.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Our weather can't compete with that. Four nor'easters in three weeks is a bit silly, but the impact in NYC isn't close to what they're getting further up in New England. And even that isn't so damaging as what you're getting. (Besides, those sobs in Boston deserve it.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Our daughter sent some pics of snow-covered Brooklyn. She was raised here, so isn't really a fan of snow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Things aren't bad here right now; tonight we will get our worst of the storm. It has been raining steadily - but not heavily - for over a day now. The rain is not expected to let up for at least another day and a half, and will fall at rates approaching an inch an hour tonight.
The real problems will be about a hundred south of me. Poor bastards in Montecito and Santa Barbara.
One climatologist said this will be the heaviest rainfall in the US. And it's right on top of a burn area. They may get about eight months worth of rain in thirty-six hours. And all that crap on the slick, bald mountains just waiting for that rainy lubricant so as to take a trip to town.

Just looked at the latest maps, and it appears that the path has moved a bit south, possibly giving us a really big break, but moving the center of the storm right over Santa Barbara.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Fuck! Ignore the last part of the above post. The new maps now show the heaviest part of the storm will be passing right over us. Shit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 pm

_Howard wrote:
Our daughter sent some pics of snow-covered Brooklyn. She was raised here, so isn't really a fan of snow.

Well neither am I, these days. But we had about a foot of snow come down and it nearly all melted, so there's only 2-3 inches on the ground. That's not a bad deal in the city. They'll clean that up in about a day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 am

We have had 5.7 inches of rain in the past 18 hours - three inches of it in under six hours this morning. Current rainfall rate is three tenths per hour.
It's supposed to stop some time today.
Fortunately, Santa Barbara was spared the worst of it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Well, the rain stopped last night. Finally. And the long-range forecasts don't shown any significant rain in the next couple of weeks. I hope it stays dry: I just scheduled my handyman to cut the weeds next week.

It's not raining, but the water from the six-plus inches of rain we just got is still moving through the ground. This morning there was a small - about 4" diameter spot of wet dirt in the low level of a crawlspace (it's got a nine-foot ceiling but is called a crawl space because the floor is all dirt). A few hours later, the "spot" was about ten feet long and a foot and a half wide.

This is the wettest March we have had since 1991, when we got about one tenth inch more rain. Typically, March gives us less than three inches total.

We started the month of March with three inches of rain that had fallen in the eight months since July 1 - the beginning of our rainy season. We now have had thirteen inches. A normal year is something over fourteen inches by the end of June..

I like rain when it falls slowly and regularly, but not when it falls in massive quantities. This rain was given us by the "Pineapple Express," a plume of tropical moisture carrying as much water as the Mississippi River which falls on us at the coast.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Well, I didn't make it through the rain unscathed. The handyman is here cutting weeds and he called me and said, "You need to look at something." So I went down to the road where he was working and found that there had been  a small mudslide. It's worse than this picture looks. It's more than twenty feet wide, fifteen to twenty feet high, and has pushed about eight inches of mud a few feet into the road. I have no idea how to handle this. There is a red marker in the road, so someone is aware of it. All I can see is big bucks.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:57 pm

The weather forecasts are totally hopeless lately. Take tomorrow as an example.

Saturday will have a snow event. Never mind that the temperature is supposed to be in the forties, so that even if it does snow it will melt as soon as it hits the ground, but lets be honest and admit that this is a rain event, please. Then notice that the amounts have been adjusted downward.
Chance for more than 0.2 inches: 14% (wow, what an event).
Chance for less than 0 inches: 16% wtf?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?   

Back to top Go down

What's next? Plague? Raining frogs?
Page 1 of 1