HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Christmas '65

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Christmas '65   Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 pm

My sister's coming over for Xmas, I usually make her some classical music CDs but this year I think I'll diverge.

I happen to be working on cleaning up an LP which we grew up with, it's pretty schmaltsy but I have fond memories of playing it on my dad's stereo, over and over.  Since my sister is five years older than me her memories should be if anything stronger than mine.  So I will make her the following CD-Rs:

• Roy Etzel - Il Silenzio (1965) - schmaltsy trumpet music with bass & drums & chorus

• Chet Atkins - Picks On The Beatles (1966) - schmaltsy but pretty inventive versions of early Beatles tunes

• Allan Sherman - My Son, The Folk Singer (1962) - Sherman sings comedy lyrics to the tunes of famous classical melodies.  A laff riot!

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Christmas '65   Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:10 pm

When I got back to the world, I used to visit the younger of my sisters often. She had a Chet Atkins album that I really liked. Fucking amazing plucking. I can't remember the name of the album, but she would put it on for me every time I visited. She died  a few years ago, and I miss her.

The only Alan Sherman song I ever heard was "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)", and I only heard that on the radio. For some very weird reason, a couple of weeks ago I woke up with that song stuck in my head. And I haven't heard it in at least fifty years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Christmas '65   Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 pm

We had "Picks on the Beatles" and "Chet Atkins' Workshop."  I think I may have made that other one for her already.

I THOUGHT about doing Vaughn Meader's "The First Family" but that's just too painful. Still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Christmas '65   Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:53 pm

I had Meader's album when I was a kid. May be around here somewhere, but probably got lost in the numerous moves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Christmas '65   Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:08 pm

What about:
  • Los Indios Tabajaras - The Many-Splendored Guitars of

I don't know WHY my dad had a copy of this, but he did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Christmas '65   Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Incidentally, I discovered why I had been so fond of Roy Etzel, the record includes a bass player who sounds very much like Carol Kaye (but probably isn't, since this was recorded in Germany in 1965). Very sharp tone, lots of string, very present. I LOVE that bass tone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas '65   

Back to top Go down

Christmas '65
Page 1 of 1