HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad Empty
PostSubject: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Even worse for Adobe shareholders, I suppose, but bad enough for the customers.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 8:20 am

Depends on what the code thieves do(did?) with it I suppose. If nothing then no harm.

I can't believe Acrobat is so advanced it couldn't have been reverse engineered by someone anyway -- patents still apply.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 am

There's absolutely no excuse for leaving customer information on a vulnerable server. Regardless of what corporate noises are made to the contrary, it is possible to protect such data. It cannot be done without some small inconvenience for the companies, but in the long run, it's far less of a problem than dealing with situations such as the one in which Adobe now finds itself.

Then again, if I was going to steal some source code, it sure as hell wouldn't be Adobe's.

Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 12:49 am

ho hum.

Adobe customer data breach worse than originally reported
Quote :
Last month Adobe admitted it had suffered a major cyber attack that compromised the data of 2.9 million users; in addition to passwords and email information, that compromised data might also have included customers’ debit or credit card information.

It gets worse. Adobe’s initial report of 2.9 million compromised data accounts was bad enough, but three weeks later, on Oct. 29, Adobe revised the estimate upward to 38 million accounts., over 10 times higher than their original number.

Then, on Nov. 4, Paul Ducklin at Sophos’ Naked Security blog reported that data from over 150 million hacked Adobe accounts had appeared online.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 6:05 am

Well I never gave Adobe my credit card info -- why should I, their updates are free? Their constant pop up windows pissed me off a long time ago so I haven't dealt with them in many many years.

Passwords? Who do you know that stores their password information in Adobe? Me either.

Email accounts? So what. That kind of information is available everywhere, and nearly public record.

There's a fundamental dichotomy between wanting to be a member of the connected world and wanting absolute privacy. Advocates of the latter have no business complaining if their personal data is spread all over the former. The expectation of security of your data has never been there for me, and I question the sanity of those who say otherwise.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:41 am

Passwords? Who do you know that uses a separate strong password for every account they open?

Me either.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:57 am

richard09 wrote:
Passwords? Who do you know that uses a separate strong password for every account they open?

Me either.
And even if you do you are then having to store them somewhere because if they are separate and strong you won't easily recall them. So now you have to worry about security at the storage site, whatever that may be.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:23 am

richard09 wrote:

Me either.
I confess. I have separate, reasonably strong passwords for every account. They are stored (encrypted) on a USB drive and accessed by a program that is also on the USB drive. The program itself requires a password, and that's the only one I need to remember. I don't have a need for passwords on anything other than my computer, so it's no hassle. If I needed them on laptops and phones and pads, I would probably do something different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad   Adobe source code breach; it’s bad, real bad Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1