HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Republican Tax Reform

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am

Oh that's rich. What a bunch of maroons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:29 pm

One of the provisions of the new tax bill would eliminate deductions for losses from wildfires and earthquakes. Take that, California!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:52 pm

FEMA is next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am

Reports last night were that Marco Rubio changed his vote to yes, and Bob Corker changed his vote to yes, and Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski are leaning yes. That leaves only McCain and Thad Cochran as iffy, since they're out on medical. There's a real chance this thing could pass.

In addition to the giveaway to the donor class, buried in the bill is a deathblow to Obamacare (killing the mandate), raising the estate tax exemption to $22m, and a provision making it legal for tax-exempt religious organizations to contribute to political races.

One commentator on MSNBC last night hit the nail on the head when he said Republicans like to cut taxes and raise the deficit, making themselves look like small government crusaders. They know that Democrats, in the next cycle, will raise taxes and reduce the deficit -- so they can accuse them of being "tax and spend libruls."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 pm

_Howard wrote:
Jenni wrote:
I hate to say it but from the look of it, for us it would actually lower our taxes. You raise that standard deduction to 24k and then only want 12% after that and yeah. Trump's better for us than Obama was.

Yes, the standard deduction was raised, but the personal exemptions were removed. You should expect to save forty to fifty dollars on your income tax (less if you are single). In the top one percent, the average tax savings is around $130,000. You won't notice a difference in your income  (less than one dollar a week), but the national debt will go way up and guess who will wind up paying it. And who will have needed services cut, including medical? Not the wealthy, that's for damned sure.
Oh, I have no doubts at all that we're about to see all kinds of services severely cut. I don't think a failure to pass this tax plan would change that. Let me be clear, I am not for this plan. I get what the long term effect will be. I would like to see my plan implemented- which would raise corporate rates and inheritance taxes and put those lowest in income into a situation where there was a certain amount of guaranteed income they could chose to get periodically or at the end of the year as a refund. But nobody asks me. What I have tried to get across to people is that as long as po people like me will see a reduction in our taxes it's going to be hard to get those already taxed (in so many ways) people to pick up the phone or email and actually contact a rep and basically say, "yeah- I know this helps me but I don't want it and here's why."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Jenni wrote:
What I have tried to get across to people is that as long as po people like me will see a reduction in our taxes it's going to be hard to get those already taxed (in so many ways) people to pick up the phone or email and actually contact a rep and basically say, "yeah- I know this helps me but I don't want it and here's why."

And that is exactly what I did when Bush was pushing his tax cuts. I called my rep (who was unfortunately, a Republican) and told him that I - and a lot of people like me, who would benefit from the tax cuts - were dead set against them because of the harm to lower-income people and to the economy as a whole. I was ignored by him, of course. I sent actual snail mails to both our Senators making the same statement and received nice boiler plate responses. But at least they expressed their agreement.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm

That's because our so-called "democracy" doesn't give a shit about constituents, They only care about the American Enterprise Institute, Cato Foundation, American Crossroads and the Heritage Foundation and what THEY want, because they fund their campaigns and will support challengers if they don't.

"Representatives" my ass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Well, it looks like this thing will pass.  Congress will deliver it to Trump's desk and he will sign it.

Unless ALL THE ANALYSTS ARE DEAD WRONG the result will be an unmitigated disaster, and Republicans won't win another election for a generation.

So... maybe that's a silver lining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 pm

There is no sliver lining to this tax plan.
The impact on the middle class will be horrendous.
The macro-economic effect could be disastrous and long-lived.
The benefits to the uber-rich and the corporations will be as intended.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 am

Well, I guess we'll see, now that it's law.

The Democrats and MSM have one set of figures for what it'll do to the economy. The Republicans and Trump TV have an entirely different projection.

All we can do now is wait & see how it shakes out. I have lost a lot of faith in journalism since the November 2016 election, which they said Hillary had a 94% chance of winning. I don't know who to believe anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 am

When they said Clinton would win, it was based on the results of polls. It's not something the journalists made up, as they do on Fox.

"The Democrats and MSM ..." AND economists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 am

The Republican projections are fairly ludicrous. At best, the economy will blip a little higher for a year or two. The Republicans know this, but are hoping that will be enough to enable them to survive the 2018 elections. That's all the political calculus they need to justify wrecking the country.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 pm

And everybody is powerless to stop them. It's enough to discourage you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:54 pm

It's not true that everybody is powerless to stop them. The fact is that tens of millions of people in the country vote to allow them to do these things. They vote for local, state, and federal officials who have been doing shit like this for decades. So you should replace the word powerless with the word stupid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 pm

"Everyone is stupid to stop them"? I don't think so. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Oops. That should have been too stupid to stop them, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am

The Republicans have bet the future of their party on this tax cut plan.

If it goes well, if people perceive they're paying less in taxes (regardless of what this does long-term to the economy) Republicans will do alright in the mid-terms.

If OTOH people perceive that this tax cut affects only the rich, and they as middle- to lower-class Americans will end up paying more, then the Republican party won't win another election, not even dogcatcher, for a generation. It's a risky bet. I've got to believe their analyses have shown at least a reasonable chance of "success" (defined as above) or else you wouldn't have gotten so many Republicans signing their death warrant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:41 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
If it goes well, if people perceive they're paying less in taxes (regardless of what this does long-term to the economy) Republicans will do alright in the mid-terms.

That doesn't apply to all people. There are a lot of people who will get some (short-term) benefit, but who still oppose the law.

A quick look shows that we will probably be in a lower tax bracket that will save us about $8,000 in taxes. However, I won't know for sure because I don't know what deductions we will lose.
Quote :
Under the tax bill, a $10,000 deduction limit would be applied to the combined value of property taxes and state and local income taxes.
   The legislation also would forbid a taxpayer from prepaying part of those expenses this year, which would have been a way to possibly get a bigger tax break.
We just prepaid our 2018 property taxes, expecting to get the deduction this year. What the hell, guy?

And we will also be paying over $4,000 in  post hoc taxes on Medicare. But that isn't Trump's doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:05 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 am

Even Republicans are having to admit that the Koch brothers got all the cookies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 am

Surprise surprise surprise. The tax cuts aren’t benefiting the larger economy at all. “Nobody could have foreseen that.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Republican Tax Reform   

Back to top Go down

Republican Tax Reform
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2