HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

the Weinstein mess

Go down 
AuthorMessage
richard09

PostSubject: the Weinstein mess   Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 pm

I don't know quite what to say about all this. It's not just Harvey Weinstein, it's a whole culture of shitty behavior by people in power. I follow David Gerrold on Facebook, and even though he's a guy, he's gay, and has suffered some unpleasant experiences (resulting in his career being derailed for ten years or more). It all disgusts me, yes, but more, it disappoints me. I thought people were better than this. Even when people manage to avoid the negative consequences, it's still disturbing.

Lupita Nyong’o: Speaking Out About Harvey Weinstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:48 pm

People with power will abuse it. Period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Ugly overweight people in power who can give pretty girls roles in big movies... the temptation must be overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm

David Copperfield

The spokesman for Bush perfectly encapsulates why this behavior continues among powerful people who feel they should be entitled to grope women because of their status:
Quote :
At age 93, President Bush has been confined to a wheelchair for roughly five years, so his arm falls on the lower waist of people with whom he takes pictures. To try to put people at ease, the president routinely tells the same joke — and on occasion, he has patted women’s rears in what he intended to be a good-natured manner.

It's called "enabling."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

Report on the radio this morning, there are now over sixty women coming forward in the Weinstein case.

Most/all of them had signed confidentiality agreements, NDAs, in exchange for cash payments.

I guess that makes them all prostitutes, against their will. What that must do to a person's self esteem. They're talking about making NDAs illegal in sexual assault settlements. I guess they already are in cases of child abuse. Make one wonder -- why were they ever?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 pm

‘House of Cards’ suspends production indefinitely amid Kevin Spacey scandal

As has been pointed out, a pretend president is being held to a much higher standard than the "real" president.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, etc, get lots of publicity for their sexual escapades, but for me they are completely unimportant. I have no interest in Weinstein, his actions, and his problems. I am more concerned about the countless instances of sexual abuse thrust upon young women - many just girls - by unknown, non-celebrities. They happen every day, mostly go unreported to the police, and never make the news.

An example and my suggestion (tongue-in-cheek, if you like). A high-school girl was being abused by her manager at Denny's restaurant. He made it a point to grab her butt every time he walked past her. He was just a young punk using the three cents worth of authority he had. The girl was very upset and talked to her mom about it. The mother, in turn, talked to the girl's step father about it. We will skip a bit here and jump to the end: I'm sure the young punk subsequently found it difficult to grab any girls' butts with a cast on his hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm

_Howard wrote:
The girl was very upset and talked to her mom about it.
This is the part that almost never happens.

One poll estimates 43% of all women report experiencing some sexual assault in their lives -- and these are just the ones who report it. Most do not (another poll I read said 92%).

99% of sexual assault perpetrators face no charges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 am

Tavis Smiley and Garrison Keillor. Oh my.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Welcome to our world, gentlemen.

All I can say is if you aren't one of them and you want to help us, call it out when you see it. Men don't respect our "no's" but when another dude says something all of a sudden they listen. Call it out, if you see a woman getting harassed the simple act of going over to her and asking if she's ok maybe enough to both stop the harasser and make her feel better.

The only thing that is surprising about this whole thing is that people are honestly shocked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Jenni,
Some people may be shocked, but I certainly am not.
If you read my previous post, you can see how I reacted when my step-daughter was harassed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:50 am

If you have seen what's going on with Meryl Streep, this opinion may be of interest.

Lizzie Borden on Harvey Weinstein and The Need to Stand Together
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:01 am

What in the world would make Linda Borden want to take the name of an infamous ax murderer???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 pm

Some backlash in the #METOO movement, where some woman acused Aziz Ansari of sexual misconduct after a date gone wrong. But it's clear she was the reason for the disaster date, and she has blown the whole thing way out of proportion.

That's the danger with these things. Women need to be clear and unambiguous, because us men can't always read your signals.

At least I never could...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Weinstein mess   

Back to top Go down

the Weinstein mess
Page 1 of 1